I need a little help, please :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerJenn

Dec 3, 2014
Blanchard, OK
My grandfather passed away and one of the things that was left to my mother and myself was his storage shed. There is a Defiant wood burning stove in there and I really don't know much (actually nothing) about it. I was really hoping you fine people could help me out a little bit. Some things I need to find out is, what year it is and how much they are worth. I am not sure we will be parting with it just yet, but thought we might like a ballpark estimate of the value. I have included pictures. I am sorry they are not the greatest. I will take more if needed.
Thank you in advance.

20141203_162723.jpeg 20141203_163002.jpg 20141203_163014.jpeg

According to one of those metal tags, the stove was safety tested in 1980, so I would imagine it was sold new around 1980/1981. These big old heaters are desirable for some that prefer simpler operation compared to more modern stove designs. That surface rust will clean up, but I would resist the urge to paint it. It's value as a stove will also depend on the condition of the interior. There should be no warped surfaces from over firing, or rusted out joints or seams which will not make it air tight. Providing the inside is in good shape, I see them on craigslist going for $300 to $500. Perhaps someone more familiar with these stoves will chime in.

If you sell it as is, I would say around $250 - $300. If you were to clean it up - Wire brush, stove polish, and new door gaskets you may be able to fetch upwards of $500 as long as their is no damage such as a warped/crack fireback inside the stove. I recently replaced my Defiant with a new EPA stove and I thoroughly regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.