I NEED HELP WITH STOVE PIPE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTSTOVE

Nov 24, 2008
central pa.
:ahhh: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? I HAVE A NEW HARMAN TL WOOD STOVE THE PIPE IS 6" AND THE CLAY IS 7" THE SALESMAN SAID TO STUFF FIBERGLASS INSULATION TO TAKE UP THE DIFF. I WAS THINKING OF DOUBLE WALL 6" .WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY? NO COMBUSTABLES TO BE CONCERNED WITH BUT WHAT IS THE BEST SOLUTION? THANKS, HOT PIPE.

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. I GUESS THAT WOULD WORK BUT DO I HAVE TO PUT A PIECE OF 7" PIPE INTO THE CLAY AND IF SO HOW FAR DO I PUT IT IN? (NO JOKES PLEASE)

IS THERE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE ? IF I PUT A 7 INCH ADAPTER SHOULD I USE A SEALER AROUND WHERE IT GOES INTO THE CLAY ? I ALSO HOOKED UP AN OUTSIDE AIR KIT, BUT MY WIFE WAS RUNNING THE CLOTHES DRYER AND COLD AIR CAME RUSHING DOWN THE CHIMNEY WILL THIS CAUSE A BAD DRAFT WHEN I HOOK UP THE STOVE PIPE?

My first reaction is that you just need a six to seven inch adapter. But you don't describe the setup enough to give good advice. Well, except that that salesman is an idiot no matter what your pipe setup is.

Show us with pictures what you are up against and the crew here will have some suggestions.

As long as the adapter fits properly you shouldnt have to seal anything, as fast a sticking a pipe down the 7" clay thimble I cant see how that would be possible or neccesary. ditto on everything brotherbart said but double ditto on the idiot salesman. (ps whats with the caps?)

HERE IS A PIC OF MY NEW SET UP. MY OLD HOUSE HAD A NASHUA AND I HEATED THE HOME WITH IT FOR OVER TEN YEARS BUT THE PIPE FIT RIGHT INTO THE CLAY. THIS CLAY IS AN INCH LARGER. SO ALL I NEED IS AN ADAPTER? I HAVE ONE OTHER QUESTION THERE IS A GAS HEATER NEXT TO THE STOVE WILL THIS PRESENT A SAFETY ISSUE?

Attachments

• stove pipe 006.jpg
    stove pipe 006.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 284
  • stove pipe 005.jpg
    stove pipe 005.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 300
  • stove pipe 008.jpg
    stove pipe 008.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 309
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT I AM UP AND RUNNING ! 24"X7"DIA. PIPE, 7"TO6" ADAPTER A COUPLE OF SHEET METAL SCREWS AND AWAY WE GO! FIRST BREAK IN FIRE WENT SMOOTHLY WORKING ON A SECOND. :coolsmile:

Attachments

• stove pipe 009.jpg
    stove pipe 009.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 228
  • stove pipe 011.jpg
    stove pipe 011.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 229
Good to hear it. Looks very nice and should make a difference.

Now please, turn off the caps lock. It's like SHOUTING all the time. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.