I need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
I would like a little advice on my next stove. My Harman 2.6 tl needs replacing.
I have two options Quadra fire 5700 or a vermont castings encore or defiant. We have heat pumps so the stove will only be used in the dead of winter. I'm getting kinda sick of baby sitting the Harman it's time consuming to get going. The Quadra fire is appealing for the simple secondary system. I'd wouldn't asking if this wasn't a warranty thing. I'd be getting a summit or a alderlea. Please give me your honest opinions thanks!

I would like a little advice on my next stove. My Harman 2.6 tl needs replacing.
I have two options Quadra fire 5700 or a vermont castings encore or defiant. We have heat pumps so the stove will only be used in the dead of winter. I'm getting kinda sick of baby sitting the Harman it's time consuming to get going. The Quadra fire is appealing for the simple secondary system. I'd wouldn't asking if this wasn't a warranty thing. I'd be getting a summit or a alderlea. Please give me your honest opinions thanks!
The quad without question. You will be in a similar situation with a VC as you are with the harman

Reactions: EbS-P
Just to clarify. Are you saying that you are being offered a Quad or VC under a dealer warranty claim?
I would assume so because they are all made by HHT

Reactions: moresnow
Correct, that's my understanding. Just went to the dealer. Vermont is off the table just went to the dealer and they said steel for steel. Makes sense I guess. Just wondering if the 5700 will turn down low and slow. They don't have much experience with these stoves.

Correct, that's my understanding. Just went to the dealer. Vermont is off the table just went to the dealer and they said steel for steel. Makes sense I guess. Just wondering if the 5700 will turn down low and slow. They don't have much experience with these stoves.
It isn't a cat stove so not going to be low and slow

This would have been easier 5 yrs ago when Quad sold the Explorer series. They were cast iron clad like the Alderleas.

The 5700 should work. You will find that a partial load of wood will burn ok. There won't be the rocket effect of secondary combustion like in the TL2.6.

Yeah I've had a small tube stove in the past. I just have to decide 5700 or one of their smaller stoves. They all seem to be very close In low heat efficiency rating so they should all put similar btus on low correct?

Yeah I've had a small tube stove in the past. I just have to decide 5700 or one of their smaller stoves. They all seem to be very close In low heat efficiency rating so they should all put similar btus on low correct?
Low heat efficiency and low heat output are very different things
So no

With a heatpump you don’t “need” low and slow. Turn it off and let the stove do its thing. 2020 stoves I think have given up some low end range for emissions. But a half load should do fine.

With a heatpump you don’t “need” low and slow. Turn it off and let the stove do its thing. 2020 stoves I think have given up some low end range for emissions. But a half load should do fine.
It sounds like they are using the stove when the outside temps are below what the heatpump can handle. Think of it as the second-stage heater.

@Woodspliter what was the small tube stove you had before? How did that work out during cold weather?

Reactions: bholler and EbS-P
Uss Country hearth I think it was 2.0 maybe?
It worked good a little to small for the long stretches of artic cold

I just want to have it a nice controllable heat with enough btus for the coldest days of the winter

Given that it's got to be a Quad, the 5700 should do the job.

Many 2020 stoves did not give up any low end range at all compared to their pre 2020 equivalents

Reactions: EbS-P