Any good options here for a large great room wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

papetimo

Sep 24, 2023
Virginia
Hi everyone. We are about to break ground on a large addition, mainly a 28' x 36' Great Room with 16' cathedral ceiling, three exterior walls. We're in Northern Virginia and winters can easily get down in the teens at night and 20s during the day.

I'm looking to install a pretty large wood stove. I have done a lot of research and am down to these:
Pacific Energy Alderlea T6
Pacific Energy Summit LE
Blaze King 40
Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo CF
Hearthstone Green Mountain 80
Lopi Liberty
Quadra-Fire 5700 Step Top

I know that's a rather large list, but all have mostly great reviews and wondering if the experts here had any opinions?
Thank you in advance!

That's a broad list of heaters. What is most important? Clearances, aesthetics, burntime, etc.? In non-cats consider the larger Jotul F55 instead of the F500 and also the Osburn 3500. In cat stoves add the Regency 3500 and Woodstock's large stoves (the Ideal Steel and Progress Hybrid).

How well insulated with the room be? How much glazing? Will the great room have a large opening to the rest of the house on the same floor? What will be the primary heat source in this room? Is there a loft connection to the house? Will there be ceiling fans at the ceiling peak?

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
We have a Blaze King Princess 32 installed in our very open main floor. The stove is between the dining area and the kitchen area (Total 25' vs 25' or so), 12' ceilings with a ceiling fan above and in front of the stove, loft area above this. The kitchen/dining area flows into the great room (25' by 20') which has 22' ceilings at the peak (no ceiling fan). Bedrooms off the side of the great room.

The BK does a great job heating the whole house, we do have the fan kit on the stove and often run the ceiling fan above the stove on low to help spread the heat to other areas. I would have strongly considered the BK King if we had a 8" liner.

Reactions: papetimo
Hi everyone. We are about to break ground on a large addition, mainly a 28' x 36' Great Room with 16' cathedral ceiling, three exterior walls. We're in Northern Virginia and winters can easily get down in the teens at night and 20s during the day.

I'm looking to install a pretty large wood stove. I have done a lot of research and am down to these:
Pacific Energy Alderlea T6
Pacific Energy Summit LE
Blaze King 40
Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo CF
Hearthstone Green Mountain 80
Lopi Liberty
Quadra-Fire 5700 Step Top

I know that's a rather large list, but all have mostly great reviews and wondering if the experts here had any opinions?
Thank you in advance!
That's a broad list of heaters. What is most important? Clearances, aesthetics, burntime, etc.? In non-cats consider the larger Jotul F55 instead of the F500 and also the Osburn 3500. In cat stoves add the Regency 3500 and Woodstock's large stoves (the Ideal Steel and Progress Hybrid).

How well insulated with the room be? How much glazing? Will the great room have a large opening to the rest of the house on the same floor? What will be the primary heat source in this room? Is there a loft connection to the house? Will there be ceiling fans at the ceiling peak?
Burn time, quality, aesthetics, in that order. The room will have R-19 fiberglass in the walls and R-38 in the ceiling. The room opens up to the house via a 14’ x 8’ passageway. Yes to ceiling fans in the peak. No loft. Primary heat is propane forced hot air/electric heat pump.

Sounds like the key decision will be a cat or simpler non-cat stove. There are good models listed in each category.

The ceiling fans will help circulate the air and the large passageway will help get some heat into the rest of the house. Run one CF blowing up and the other down at low speed to create a good convection loop in the room.

I visited my local stove shop this week, intending to pull the trigger on a Lopi Liberty NexGen. The owner actually bought that exact same stove for his house. He loves it. He just had me second guessing as he thought it may be too much stove for my space. It's going in a 36x28' great room with tall (18' cathedral ceilings). I'll have ceiling fans and I intend to pull some of the hot air down to heat the full basement (same size) underneath. Is this really a concern or should I be looking at a smaller stove? Total area will be over 2000 sq ft. and that is just the room up and down, not the adjacent main house which connects with a large opening.
I was down to Lopi Liberty, Hearthstone Green Mountain 80, and the Pacific Energy Summit LE. Cost aside, did I make the right choice? Not against a cat stove...but ash pan is a must and I really like the large glass of the Lopi.

I visited my local stove shop this week, intending to pull the trigger on a Lopi Liberty NexGen. The owner actually bought that exact same stove for his house. He loves it. He just had me second guessing as he thought it may be too much stove for my space. It's going in a 36x28' great room with tall (18' cathedral ceilings). I'll have ceiling fans and I intend to pull some of the hot air down to heat the full basement (same size) underneath. Is this really a concern or should I be looking at a smaller stove? Total area will be over 2000 sq ft. and that is just the room up and down, not the adjacent main house which connects with a large opening.
I was down to Lopi Liberty, Hearthstone Green Mountain 80, and the Pacific Energy Summit LE. Cost aside, did I make the right choice? Not against a cat stove...but ash pan is a must and I really like the large glass of the Lopi.
Pull it down to heat the basement? That's not going to work well at all

Just to add a second to what begreen said-definitely consider the Osburn 3500 if your set up would allow. We have ours in a very large main room with a 10’ ceiling and it is capable of heating the entire one floor ranch house.