I need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
I need to know what is the side clearance on my f400. it sits on a hearth in front of the fireplace.i dont understand the manual.

Thanks john

Johnny,

the manual is pretty clear but it depends on your install, is a protected or unprotected wall?, corner install?, single wall or double wall pipe? heat shield or no heatshield??

How is the stove configured? Does it have the rear heat shield or none? Worst case scenario, it will need 19" to the nearest side combustible if the stove is sitting out on the hearth. If it is 100% within the fireplace cavity, then don't worry about side clearances.

PS: Did you post a picture of your installation? If yes, can you point us to that thread? A picture will help a lot.

johnnywarm said:
I need to know what is the side clearance on my f400. it sits on a hearth in front of the fireplace.i dont understand the manual.

Thanks john

I dont have a pic but its just like this one.

Attachments

• soapstone.jpg
    soapstone.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 523
if no wall is within 19" then your fine.

That doesn't help. Different stove and not your setup. How far is the side of the stove from the nearest combustible?

BeGreen said:
That doesn't help. Different stove and not your setup. How far is the side of the stove from the nearest combustible?

I would like to put a hutch on one side of the stove.it will be about 2.5 to 3 feet from the stove.i'm trying to put furniture in the room where the stove is.theres a sofa on the other side thats like 5 to 6 feet from it.

I'll see if i can post a pic later.

Those distances will be fine the closest safe distance in a worst case scenario is 19" so you look good.

OK, now I understand the concern. 3 feet away should be fine. It may dry out the wood on the hutch if that is a concern, but it shouldn't be a safety risk.

You guys are GREAT!! i was told three feet minimum was the deal.it didnt look that way in the book but when it comes to something importaint like this i need the experts to chime in.

One more maybe??? how fare up does the wooden mantel need to be.do you measure it from the top of the stove to the mantel???? i know it cannot stick out more then 12".

Thanks again

johnnywarm said:
One more maybe??? how fare up does the wooden mantel need to be.do you measure it from the top of the stove to the mantel???? i know it cannot stick out more then 12".

There's a lot of heat generated and rising off the top of the stove. It looks like a minimum of 25" from stove top to mantel. The requirements are as follows:

Mantel and Trim

Stove to 1” thick or less, side trim, 13” 300mm clearance

Clearances Stove to 1” thick or less, top trim, 23” 585mm

Stove to mantel- maximum mantel depth 12”, 25” 635mm clearance

I'd try to exceed that if possible and/or add a 1" air space heat shield to the bottom of the mantel over the area of the stove.

BeGreen said:
johnnywarm said:

There's a lot of heat generated and rising off the top of the stove. It looks like a minimum of 25" from stove top to mantel. The requirements are as follows:

Mantel and Trim

Stove to 1” thick or less, side trim, 13” 300mm clearance

Clearances Stove to 1” thick or less, top trim, 23” 585mm

Stove to mantel- maximum mantel depth 12”, 25” 635mm clearance

I'd try to exceed that if possible and/or add a 1" air space heat shield to the bottom of the mantel over the area of the stove.

To the bottom of the mantel to the top of the stove is 17". can i use the mantel where it is at 17 with the heat shield you are talking about

Possibly. This is where a picture would be a really be a big help.

BeGreen said:
Possibly. This is where a picture would be a really be a big help.

Thanks for being patient Begreen.Her it is.from the top of the stove to the bottom of the hearth is 17".the hearth is 9"deep,the hearth hangs over the stove 5"s.

Attachments

• catstove 500.jpg
    catstove 500.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 389
1 things I see wrong:

The handle of your stove is shaped like a big orange cat.

Is there anyway to install a non-combustible deflector above your stove?

<>Thanks for being patient Begreen.Her it is.from the top of the stove to the bottom of the hearth is 17".the hearth is 9"deep,the hearth hangs over the stove 5"s<>

I believe you are confusing the word
Hearth" with the word "Mantel."
Hearth is below...
Mantel is above & to the sides...
That being said, your mantel shelf is too CLOSE to the top of the stove. You need to install a mantel heat deflector (shield)
You need 25" from the top of the stove for anything that overhangs the unit more than 1" out from the masonry...

That being said, the pic doesn't show your hearth protection...
I don't remember if you mentioned it in your first post...

Looks quite similar to my situation. My mantel is coming off for a nice piece of blue stone instead of the wood. In addition, I have another piece of stone going on the floor in front of the stove. It looks like you may not have floor protection out in front of the stove??

Jags said:
1 things I see wrong:

The handle of your stove is shaped like a big orange cat.

Is there anyway to install a non-combustible deflector above your stove?

Jags
I asked about the handle,i was told its a cat stove.

DAKSY said:
<>Thanks for being patient Begreen.Her it is.from the top of the stove to the bottom of the hearth is 17".the hearth is 9"deep,the hearth hangs over the stove 5"s<>

I believe you are confusing the word
Hearth" with the word "Mantel."
Hearth is below...
Mantel is above & to the sides...
That being said, your mantel shelf is too CLOSE to the top of the stove. You need to install a mantel heat deflector (shield)
You need 25" from the top of the stove for anything that overhangs the unit more than 1" out from the masonry...

That being said, the pic doesn't show your hearth protection...
I don't remember if you mentioned it in your first post...

I do not have have anything there at the moment.i was wondering if i needed the heat shield or not.

CTwoodburner said:
Looks quite similar to my situation. My mantel is coming off for a nice piece of blue stone instead of the wood. In addition, I have another piece of stone going on the floor in front of the stove. It looks like you may not have floor protection out in front of the stove??

Hay Ct.i have the mantel off.i was thinking about a stone on top but i'm not sure what kind.i do have floor protection.the pic is old.

do they make the heat shield already made??

I have 20" between the top of my Oslo and my mantel. I just fabbed up a heat shield with a 1" airspace and now my mantel stays well below 100 F. Here is a pic. 8

eightpilot said:
I have 20" between the top of my Oslo and my mantel. I just fabbed up a heat shield with a 1" airspace and now my mantel stays well below 100 F. Here is a pic. 8

Eightpilot

What did you mount the shield too? what did you use to mount it??

Thank you.

8, the pic did not work. a pic at this time would be nice.

thanks john

Status
Not open for further replies.