I need operational assistance for an Old Mill, supposedly a coal and wood stove, I believe model OM 50 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Old TQ

Oct 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
It was first installed around 1970 and my father in law failed to leaved the instructions, he's gone and I just want to make sure its set up right for wood operations, Chimney is regularly maintained and stove has worked, just seems it could work better. It has a removable iron plate in the bottom of the firebox which reveals a grate over a removable ash collector in the lower chamber which also serves as the heat source for a built in fan to circulate the air. The lower chamber has a single door with a rotating round vent adjustment. The firebox has two doors and a vent control on each.. It has always been operated with the plate in place. The question is, should the wood be on the grate or is that strictly for coal which will never be used?

If only used for wood, leave the plate in. Coal needs a grate to shake out ash and clinkers, plus to supply air underneath the coal fire. Wood does not.

Does it have a liner hooked to it running out the top of the chimney

If only used for wood, leave the plate in. Coal needs a grate to shake out ash and clinkers, plus to supply air underneath the coal fire. Wood does not.
Thank you, I wanted to confirm with someone who had actual experience than the unsolicited advice I was receiving.