I need to replace my 1982 Vermont Castings Defiant, want a similar look but more efficient.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmccann

Mar 28, 2022
Watertown, Minnesota
I have used my Vermont Castings Defiant heavily since 1982. I had a chimney fire last week, and the chimney inspector recommended that in addition to doing a new SS chimney liner that I replace the Defiant, because there is now a crack in the back wall of the firebox. My stove sits on a brick hearth and has the stovepipe coming out the top. I want the new stove to have a similar vintage look and size (my house is a 1900 Victorian) but more efficiency and safety. I am not interested in the new VC stoves, as I don't want the top loading or the catalytic converter hassles. Any recommendations?

Jotul f500?

Similar in my eyes - but that might be a matter of taste...

Check the reviews of it too. I think I remember it's a newish model. @begreen may have other suggestions or know more about how this jotul performs.

I feel safer recommending the F45 and F55. They are quite solid. webby3650 has serviced this F500v3. He may have more to say about how they are performing this season since the cat fix.

Reactions: stoveliker
I decided to replace my 1982 VC Defiant with a non-catalytic Osburn 2000. Decided against the Jotul and Hearthstone stoves. With the uncertainty of the whole catalytic supply chain these days, and reports of maintenance hassles on the catalytic stoves, I chose the Osburn 2000, with its stainless steel baffle system and EPA 2020 rating. I'll report about it after it is installed soon!

I decided to replace my 1982 VC Defiant with the Osburn 2000! It meets 2020 EPA without the catalytic feature of a lot of the new stoves. I didn't like the idea of the maintenance and need for expensive replacement of the catalytic part. With most of the minerals in catalytic converters coming from Ukraine and Russia, I could see the writing on the wall . Love the Osburn 2000!
PXL_20220409_224642660.jpg

Good choice. That should provide nice heat for decades.