I need trailer purchasing advice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a pj 10k car hauler and love it. Its 20ft long and ibuild 2 foot sides out of 2x8s it will fit 2 cords of wood on it. Right now I am hauling 20 foot logs. I know I am waayyyy over the weight limit and it takes the abuse. Also is great for hauling cars and trucks. Even gravel if need be.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bholler
I have a trailer where the back slopes down and the gate is only 1/2 the length. Makes for a lot less to pick up to close.

I have a trailer where the back slopes down and the gate is only 1/2 the length. Makes for a lot less to pick up to close.
Doesn't that make keeping rounds from rolling off the tail end of the trailer a little tough, while loading?

In my head, I had this.

p21700070_11__1_1.jpg

I'd not even think about moving firewood on any single-axle trailer, if I were moving farther than across my own yard!

In my head, I had this.

View attachment 196811

I'd not even think about moving firewood on any single-axle trailer, if I were moving farther than across my own yard!
Thats what I am looking at now...14k,18'plus 2',stake pockets and custom winch mount. This will haul logs, tractor,skid steer or one of the trucks if they break down...I have a couple single axel trailers I use for light duty stuff...and moving firewood around the yard...they arent heavy enough to haul serious loads of wood like I like to haul over the road...lol

Reactions: Ashful
I debated going with something like this, but decided I wanted solid sides for moving rounds, so I bought a Vanguard 70TV with solid sides. Now that I have it, I'm wondering if I made the right choice, as I'm tired of loading rounds, and I'm looking to put a winch on it for dragging logs directly onto the trailer.

I bought big enough to move my tractor and mower, but a flat bed would have been even more convenient for that, and would have also allowed me to haul a car if the need arose.

If you're moving rounds and odd bits, I'd want solid sides, but for moving full logs I'd go flat bed. Yes, you can add stake sides to any flat bed, but I didn't really want to deal with removable sides, myself.