Buck 21 NC woodstove - need parts manuals or pictures as well as general advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Freep

Aug 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest, USA
Greetings, All!

Many thanks, years ago, for your help in purchasing and installing my first wood stove. That's still going well. After briefly flirting with the possibility of finding a way to heat water and install some radiators for the upstairs portion of my house, I have returned to earth and decided to install the Buck 21NC that has been sitting in my garage for a few years.

I got the Buck 4-5 years ago off of Craigslist for a ridiculously low price. Like, scrap metal pricing. It looked to me to have had a single (poorly burning) fire burned in it. Reading the body language in the household I recall thinking maybe the seller was instructed to get it out of the house by his spouse. It has been in my garage ever since.

Now... looking at the thing with more knowledge about woodstoves, it appears that one or more parts were never installed. I can look directly down into where the stovepipe should attach and see secondary tubes. I imagine there should be at least one plate in there to recycle hot air. I see a 'baffle' plate listed on various websites. But I am worried that may be only one of several parts that went missing or were never installed. I know nothing about the history of the stove other than that it is practically brand new. I attempted to find manuals so I could ascertain presence of all the parts, but the manuals don't have very good diagrams of the interior of the stove. Does anyone have a Buck 21 diagram with some detail in it? Or does anyone have one they can take pictures of that might help me out? I'd like to figure out how much it's going to cost before I start putting things together. If I have to spend a fair bit of money on it I may just get a slightly bigger stove.

And, while we're on the topic, will legs interfere with the ability of the blower (mounted in the front) to disperse hot air? I think this may have been designed as an insert to sit right into a fireplace, but given it's size and general cuteness, I'd like to stick it out in the room a couple of feet to help it shed heat. I assume I need legs rather than setting this thing on a fairly thin hearth (1-2" stone). I'd rather not set it back into the fireplace unless someone can think of good ideas to do so.

And finally... can I get this thing to draft well with 11' of pipe? I typically start all my fires by preheating the stove, and have never hade many draft problems, but I know it's technically supposed to have 15' of pipe.

Many thanks!

The manual doesn't show a parts diagram but it sounds like it's missing the Top Baffle Board 1/2” x 9 1/2” x 19”, part # POBPFB01

11 ft is a short flue for a modern stove with secondary combustion. Older stoves might have worked well, but additional draft is needed to pull air through the secondary manifold and tubes. Is the flue system straight up and through the roof or through a side wall?

15 ft or whatever Buck recommends is measured from the firebox floor as it is for most all stoves.

The manual doesn't show a parts diagram but it sounds like it's missing the Top Baffle Board 1/2” x 9 1/2” x 19”, part # POBPFB01

11 ft is a short flue for a modern stove with secondary combustion. Older stoves might have worked well, but additional draft is needed to pull air through the secondary manifold and tubes. Is the flue system straight up and through the roof or through a side wall?
If I put the stove right back into the chimney it will be straight. I had intended to angle it into the chimney a wee bit to bring it out into the room to shed more heat. That would lengthen the chimney slightly, but at the expense of a couple 30 degree angles in the pipe. Or, I could just put it into the chimney.

Is it worth trying without extending with some pipe beyond the chimney? Or is there little to no chance of it working with such a short flue. I had only really considered the ability to get the fire started (which I am fairly confident in) and had neglected to consider the draft needed to pull through the secondaries. Is there anything else that I might do to improve draft (insulate or etc), or is it not worth messing with?

I had read somewhere that there was also an 'insulation board' (separate from the baffle board) in that stove, but I don't see any such part listed.

Insulating the liner will help and is usually required to meet code. Some stoves draw easier than others. All will draft better in colder weather when temps drop to 40º or below. The best I can advise is try it. If good secondary combustion is happening then it may be ok with the shorter flue. Having good dry fuel will be essential.