I pulled out the grill and it's moldy. I've never seen this before.

GeHmTS Posted By GeHmTS, May 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM

  1. GeHmTS

    GeHmTS
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL
    

    Nov 29, 2013
    373
    44
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Hi all, I pulled out my grill from the winter to start cooking some meats. When I opened it up, it's all molded. Can I still safely use the grill if I burn off the mold with a hot fire? Has anyone else had this issue?

    Is there a temperature I would have to reach to ensure that all the mold is dead and gone bye bye?

    grill.jpeg
     
  2. Hogwildz

    Hogwildz
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Nov 3, 2006
    8,186
    1,721
    Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I'd clean it first.
     
  3. festerw

    festerw
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL
    

    Nov 16, 2009
    237
    44
    Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    x2, hit everything with some oven cleaner. Then you know you're good.
     
  4. heat seeker

    heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Feb 25, 2011
    2,849
    435
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    Or maybe some bleach.
     
  5. Highbeam

    Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Dec 28, 2006
    13,318
    2,451
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    A bed of charcoal makes grate temps in excess of 1000 degrees. Cooking it off plus a brushing is perfectly safe but then there is the yuk factor. The visible mold will easily wash away with a sponge. Your shell is probably moldy too.

    I get this in my vertical charcoal smoker when the spattered grease is not removed. My grates get cleaned every time but I don't worry about the shell.
     
  6. vinny11950

    vinny11950
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    May 17, 2010
    1,236
    215
    Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    What Highbeam says. Make a nice, hot fire and let it burn everything off. Once it cools down, wash off the residue and let it dry in the sun. The left over grease and dark storage must have been a great place for a mold colony.
     
    mwhitnee and Highbeam like this.
  7. twd000

    twd000
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL
    

    Aug 28, 2015
    240
    44
    Loc:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Burn it off before cooking, you'll survive. I always leave my grill lid cracked open a few inches to avoid this problem now.
     
  8. sportbikerider78

    sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Jun 23, 2014
    1,880
    733
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Burn it off. Wire brush it. Add meat.
     
  9. twd000

    twd000
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL
    

    Aug 28, 2015
    240
    44
    Loc:
    Southern New Hampshire
  10. sportbikerider78

    sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Jun 23, 2014
    1,880
    733
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I usually chew my food. The amount of chewing is inversely proportional to beer consumption.

    Seriously though...I've also heard the same about wire brushes. They're safe..just make sure you don't leave any on the grill when you are done.
     
  11. Highbeam

    Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Dec 28, 2006
    13,318
    2,451
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Don't eat the bristles. Seems pretty easy. The alternative is eating all that crusty cooked on food each time. Is that what most folks do? Crunch crunch on the carbon?
     

Share This Page