I put up insulating shades last night... *fist pump!*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
we have them in the majority of our windows. In the winter, we could not get our bedroom to be over 63º when it was dark out, but we put the insulating shades in and now we can get it significantly warmer. We open ours in the day, then close them when the sun isn't on them in the winter. In thesummer, we do the exact opposite. I wanted to get them for our windows in the front of the house, that get the most amount of sun in the summer, but we also wanted to be able to see out of them so we can look out the windows.

Last Sunday I installed 9 insulated shades with a pull cord. Much better IMO. Its so smooth compared to the cordless. One difference is the cordless has 3 little squares of fabric, where the pull cord only has 2.

Reactions: Ashful
We've been installing motorized with remote. Much easier to reach in very deep window sills, particularly when there's a desk or dresser below window. I'm envious of those with newer houses, who have full auto shades. Go up and down automatically, as the seasons and sun dictate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running a line would be ideal, but in my old plaster-on-stone house, batteries were the only option. It takes maybe eight AA batteries in a long battery pack tube, that plugs into the motor controller. The tube can be mounted to the window casing behind the shade, or in my case I just set it inside the header of the shade, as there's plenty of empty room in there. I can't say how long they last, but I anticipate changing them every second year, just to avoid leakage.

We installed insulated curtains on the front living room window years ago and noticed an almost immediate difference in the summer time temperatures and they also insulate in the winter. I would recommend insulated curtains for any residence or at least the main stove room.

I've been noticing condensation on the window now that there isn't a lot of air movement over them. Has anybody had a mildew situation from these blinds?

I've been noticing condensation on the window now that there isn't a lot of air movement over them. Has anybody had a mildew situation from these blinds?
Yes, but that was in a bathroom. Also, peeling paint on wood windows.

Pull 'em down and night, but be sure to put them up during the day, so things can dry.

Yes, but that was in a bathroom. Also, peeling paint on wood windows.

Pull 'em down and night, but be sure to put them up during the day, so things can dry.
Ditto. Also on a north-facing kitchen fixed and side casements, for whatever reason. I just installed a bathroom fan timer (mechanical, from HD) to hopefully help as well.
I try to keep them up during day and wipe them down.

I had a paint issue in the bathroom until I installed a humidity sensing fan. Sometimes the wife turns it off, which is irritating, but not a battle I choose to make.

i only have 1 window that has moisture issues and that is the only single pane window left in the house. it is right above the stairwell, so the hot air comes up the stairs from the stove, and it is just drafty enough that I get condensation buildup behind the blinds. It only gets about an hour of morning sun, so it never really goes away. once it gets really cold, it just ices over and stays that way until spring :)

Revisiting an old thread...I installed about 20 Ecosmart shades around the house...they seem to block a lot of the cold coming from the window at night. In the morning, I'll raise the shades so that we get get some solar gain.

BTW, for those of you that have purchased insulating shades, remember to take a credit for their cost on your federal return. I think there's a 10% credit available.

I think the tax credit was for a set amount, once you had received the cumulative max that was it.

I feel that my insulating blinds with side tracks were just about my best investment for energy savings .

I think the tax credit was for a set amount, once you had received the cumulative max that was it.

I feel that my insulating blinds with side tracks were just about my best investment for energy savings .

Agreed. We only had a handful of windows for which the sidetracks worked. All the others have beveled trim. Oh well...

I did have to re-trim a couple of windows by packing out the clamshell trim to be thicker in a few spots to get them to fit.