I think I got lucky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
I saw this tree in my front yard had started to lean a little, then I noticed a few mushrooms growing out of the bottom of it after a hard rain.

Decided to have it taken down and this is what the base looked like.
2013-10-05 10.07.31.jpg
The tree was a maple about 30' tall, I don't know how it didn't fall over.
Splitting those bottom rounds was like splitting a wet cork.
2013-10-05 16.54.08.jpg

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Did it still have growing leaves on it even with the core so punked out? Amazing. Good thing you had it taken down. When you cut through that fluffy stuff, ya think - "wow I have a super-saw!" it slices through the log so fast. But then it's "oh, rats - it's only punky wood."

Last edited:
Yes, it did still have leaves. It was obviously not doing spectacularly well, but I originally thought I would have it professionally pruned, until I saw the mushrooms...
This is what it looked like this morning:
2013-10-05 08.13.03.jpg
This is what it looked like this afternoon:
2013-10-05 10.12.45.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Probably did the right thing. Leaning towards the house and all..

wow ..thats amazing .._g

We've had high winds (for our area) all day, I'm glad we cut her down or I'm sure she'd be on the house by now and we'd be footing the bill to have the power lines run to the house again...

That's honestly amazing to me. You wouldn't think the trunk or base of the tree would look like that from the inside by just viewing it from the outside. Thanks for the pics!

Good timing. Looks close to the house. Did you drop it whole or climb and cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.