I think I'm officially the "appalachian american" on my street ;-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
So last night to get the new stove in, I spent a good 45 minutes trying to get my truck up my lawn, it's fairly steep I can usually get up it even with snow, but it was all ice underneath, after all that trying I made it most of the way up, which did make moving the stove easier. Of course my dad had to try to get his dodge up too so he could make fun of my gmc(big rivalry there) and he actually made it. BTW, i live on a half acre lot on a cul de sac. My neighbor came over to help us move the stove, i asked him if he enjoyed the hillbilly olympics. He actually taped it cuz he thought it was so funny, i'll have to see if i can get a copy on here.

Then today I put a piece of 5' galvanized pipe into the top of my chimney(i'm sure hogwildz will love it) to see if that helps the draft. It's pretty funny looking like that, man my poor neighbors..... of course they all have their quirks as well, it's a don't bother anyone and they won't bother you kind of street ;)

To qualify as true appalachian american one of said trucks would need to be on blocks, with no tags. Of course that requirement can be negated if you have a mullet and own a camaro built between 79 and 89.

Or if your father used to walk you to school every day, because you were both in the same grade.

Once you start puttin the blue tarps over the woodpiles in your yard, the scene will be just about complete. Oh yeah, leave a couple of old appliances along the wood edge and let some stuff grow up around em.

Oh man I just got rid of the old washing machine out of the driveway, but I do have pieces of an aboveground pool covering my wood, it is in the backyard behind the fence though. And last year I did have the blue tarps on em

SPED said:
... but I do have pieces of an aboveground pool covering my wood, it is in the backyard behind the fence though.

Newbie here and I actually had to register just to reply to this thread with a resounding "ME TOO!!!" LOL. I can't believe that someone else is using an above ground pool cover on their wood. Ours, too, is behind a privacy fence. I thought it was a rather ingenius way to reuse the pool cover. Save the earth and all that.

Oh man, using the cover isn't hillbilly enough for me, I actually cut the pool wall of an aboveground pool up into sections, and used those to cover my woodpile. I gotta say it works great, I usually tarp it and we've had a ton of snow/ice since I put them on and so far so good. If I moved that out into the front yard I think my wife would start packing.... wait a minute anyone wanna help me move some wood ;-)

Ah, I didn't read clearly enough. Nope, our pool is still standing. We're using the old solar cover that the dog chewed up to cover the wood.

Well this was part of a pool that someone gave me, that only needed a few parts and a new liner....well the manufacturer was out of business and I tried like crazy to get parts but no luck. Still got a free filter out of the deal. But I kept reading on here that people like corrugated roof panels and such for that. I still had the roll of pool down in the bottom of the yard, which is even fenced off from the other part of the backyard(what my wife calls the dump). So I was down there one day stacking wood and almost tripped over the roll of pool and had a brainstorm. Works great, soooooo much better than tarps, i'll use those for the sides once the wood is seasoned, but can't beat this for the tops. And it's still recycling ....

Dude that isn't even close to being an Appalachian American.

Now if you still had the Christmas lights duct taped to your truck and you were putting the stove in an old school bus beside the trailor to keep the dogs warm. You'd be getting close.

And you didn't mention accomplishing this without spilling a drop of beer.

Now go get your shotgun and install the outside air kit.

karl said:
Now if you still had the Christmas lights duct taped to your truck and you were putting the stove in an old school bus beside the trailor to keep the dogs warm. You'd be getting close.

Like this?

Attachments

• bus stove.jpg
    bus stove.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.