I Think I'm Set for a While...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wawa Coffee

Jul 24, 2016
SEPA
I had two huge black locust trees taken down, and the guy did a dead standing EAB White Ash for my neighbor at the same time. I kept it all because I'm a glutton.

When I came home from work today I moved and stacked 30 locust rounds and split 10 of the ash rounds. This is what's left. :eek:

IMG_20160921_170914012_TOP_zpsn9seb4sa.jpg

I figure an hour a day with the axe and I'll start to see it shrink a bit. What I moved today didn't put a dent in it. I have no place to stack and store it and my wife is not thrilled, but I'm happy as a clam. :)

Here's a close up shot.

IMG_20160920_190143342_zpsq6h4ftt5.jpg

Just tell the better half that this is half of what keeps her warm
You being the other half
Nice Load

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice job Wawa! The wife will get over it, especially when it's really cold out!

The fisikars has a lighter head wich equals greater velocity which equals less force requirements to generate speed which equals happy muscles at the end of the day .plus it has a nearly unbreakable handle not wood

Reactions: Jeffm1
The fisikars has a lighter head wich equals greater velocity which equals less force requirements to generate speed which equals happy muscles at the end of the day .plus it has a nearly unbreakable handle not wood
The GFB is less than one pound heavier, and American hickory is the way handles should be made!

I can't imagine using another axe. It would be like cheating on my current axe or something. There is just no need.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have never used a Fiskars, some on here rave about them, but for me a standard splitting maul like I get at Tractor Supply is good enough for me. I have a 6 lb and an 8 lb maul. Usually I use the 6 unless my son is splitting with me. But I prefer the handles made of fiberglass, hickory has cracked too often in my experience.

Your wife and my wife must be in cahoots! Nice haul!

Those pics are a stovers' heaven. lol

Luckily the wife loves our stack. Looks both rustic and hides my redneck
stash of junk. The retired but running car, tractor parts, sleds, etc.
We actually look educated to passersby now.

CheapAndHidingTheTruth

Last edited by a moderator:
A little update. I'm getting some split, some stacked, and some sorted for a few friends that I'm going to share with. I'm putting up another shed in the clearing to the left of this picture between my yard and the neighbor so I can have another 2 cord c/s/s and ready for next year. The rest I'll leave in rounds on pallets or 4x4's for the winter of 2018-19.

All in all I'm liking the way its turning out, and I've been getting some good extra workouts in every night when I get home from work.

IMG_20160924_132536410_zpsrxllsllx.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
:(;);)
I had two huge black locust trees taken down, and the guy did a dead standing EAB White Ash for my neighbor at the same time. I kept it all because I'm a glutton.

When I came home from work today I moved and stacked 30 locust rounds and split 10 of the ash rounds. This is what's left. :eek:

View attachment 184240

I figure an hour a day with the axe and I'll start to see it shrink a bit. What I moved today didn't put a dent in it. I have no place to stack and store it and my wife is not thrilled, but I'm happy as a clam. :)

Here's a close up shot.

View attachment 184241
Just tell your wife that every single piece of wood will end up getting burned. So you take the time now or you take the time later. By doing it now, that just means more time in the future snuggling together in front of the toasty fire!;)

Great score there!
I do have a Fiskars and it is a great axe. I rarely use the 8lb maul for anything anymore. That being said, if you have an axe that works for you...sweet!

My back hurts just looking at those BL rounds. That's some heavy #%+ boy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.