I think it's time for a cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Dtvman

Feb 5, 2012
East Bay of Rhode Island
I'm on my second season, last year I only burned a ton because I installed late in the season. I gave it a cleaning as good as I knew how but after being here for a while I have a better understanding.

I have 2 problems. First I want to order some gaskets but I only see gaskets for Exhaust Combustion Blower and none for the Convection blower. My second problem I'm never getting on the roof to clean the 25 feet of 4 inch pipe going threw my clay chimeny like I did last year with the 4 inch brush. I can open the T on the bottom before the stove and clean that out. Forgot to say I Have a Breckwell P22 insert.

I have a vertical installed through the roof vent setup. About 14' in my case.
During the heating season I don't climb up on my roof to clean down the vent to the stove.
I do that during the summer (off season)

What I do is to pull the vent from the back of the stove and separate the first couple of sections from the vertical vent.
In my case that is the "T", and a 3' straight section.
I use one of those 4" Dryer/Pellet Vent brushes with a pvc rod attached.
http://www.northlineexpress.com/4-p...ID=974940542&gclid=CN-QwLeqwrQCFUWo4AodwTUARg

I hold a shop vac (with Hepa Filter) at the mouth of the vent as I am scrubbing the vent.
This catches about 98% of what falls down.

They make more "Professional" brush setups that allow sections to be attached together.
In your case it sounds like just what you need.
Here is an example, BTW you need to buy separate brush head.
http://www.toolking.com/rutland-inc...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM6vr5SqwrQCFQqe4AodB2QAUw

In the summer you really need to get up to the weather cap and clear it of all debris/bird nests.
Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I have 5 of those poles and the 4 inch brush but they wouldn't make the turn I have at the bottom near the exhust of the stove. I might try that flex brush but I hear from reviews that they snap EZ.

Or you can get a linteater set and use the shop vac attachment while using the linteater. Works great!

Maybe you could even use the exhaust port on the shop vac and use it as a modified lbt to blow the ash out the top of the chimney while using the linteater. Use a powerful shop vac and be sure to have someone outside to record a video when you do it! We love videos of people doing the lbt! (That kind of sounds dirty!)

Use a 3" brush it should make the turn and the slop should allow it to still contact the wall enough that your cleaning motions will result in enough soot being loosened.

There are also brushes with turn guides that will allow normal elbows to be in the exhaust path as long as they are not back to back.

I did and even went to Breckwell web sight and that is the only gasket they sell. O well I ordered them and the dryer 4 inch brush. I'm going to tie a small rope to the brush just in case the plastic rod breaks. So it can be pulled down.

Reactions: Countryboymo
Status
Not open for further replies.