I think this guy has a point

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread on this a few eeks back. Basically, if you're into wood burning for savings and buy wood- then do a price comparison or procure wood yourself.

If this guy doesn't do the work himself, pay for saws and fuel, labor to split and transport, keeping a stock of wood a year in advance, advertise and other business expenses, etc- then he has no reference from which to call them theives. He has a choice and shouldn't be a baby when his "alternative" doesn't pan out the way he wants.

-pH- strong capitalist

IF EVERYONE WOULD START DOING THIS (buy oil instead) THEN THESE THEIVES THAT ARE SELLING US THE SAME WOOD THAT WAS CUT, SPLIT AND DELIVERED FOR $150 A CORD NOT TOO LONG AGO, WILL ADJUST THEIR PRICES AND STOP RIPPING US OFF.

Gee Mr. Know-it-all, if demand for oil goes up, what do you think will happen to oil prices??? Retard.

BTW, If it's so cheap and easy to actually CSD a cord of wood, why doesn't Mr. Know-it-all go out and get his own??? I don't sell wood, but $150 is not enough money (IMO) to bother selling a quality cord of wood for. It takes a lot of time and effort, never mind equipment, to CSD a cord of wood. As far as I'm concerned, these guys desirve to get $200+ for it.

Wet1 said:
IF EVERYONE WOULD START DOING THIS (buy oil instead) THEN THESE THEIVES THAT ARE SELLING US THE SAME WOOD THAT WAS CUT, SPLIT AND DELIVERED FOR $150 A CORD NOT TOO LONG AGO, WILL ADJUST THEIR PRICES AND STOP RIPPING US OFF.

Gee Mr. Know-it-all, if demand for oil goes up, what do you think will happen to oil prices??? Retard.

BTW, If it's so cheap and easy to actually CSD a cord of wood, why doesn't Mr. Know-it-all go out and get his own??? I don't sell wood, but $150 is not enough money (IMO) to bother selling a quality cord of wood for. It takes a lot of time and effort, never mind equipment, to CSD a cord of wood. As far as I'm concerned, these guys desirve to get $200+ for it.
Iam with you on that!

No kidding! I look at the amount of time I spent cutting, splitting, and stacking the 8 or so cord I had, if someone came and offered me $150 for a cord, I would laugh at them. To think about delivering it yet and charging $150 is even more ridiculous.

Forget even the wood and the other stuff... There are some people I wouldn't even try to 'stack' to please for $150. It isn't worth the headache, IMO.

Give me an f'n break. First off, stop yelling. Second, read a basic economics primer. Third, go get your own.

It sounds like he/she made a bad decision to burn wood just to save money and it didn't pan out for him/her.
The world has way too many people making bad decisions and putting it off on someone else.
It really has nothing to do with the price of firewood.
And, I think a lot of people are going to experience hardships they've never had to endure before and many won't handle it very graciously.

These are the same idiots that complain about food prices. Food, Firewood and just about everything being purchased today at retail was manufactured/grown/harvested when fuel prices were $4+ a gallon. Do people actually think the firewood guys just sit around all summer waiting until fall to start stockpiling firewood? They must have costs to cover while at the same time they know they must be price competitive. So now we have to pay for that unfortunately. All of these prices will eventually come down if oil stays at some consistent price. Until then be thankful you can drive cheaply again. Besides, I know back east trees grow like weeds so everyone should be able to get enough firewood on their own.

madrone said:
Give me an f'n break. First off, stop yelling. Second, read a basic economics primer. Third, go get your own.
LMAO ! Well said.

Firewood is no different than any other commodity it's whatever the market will bear. A face cord around here goes for 70.

First off, I think buying logs in the round and bucking, splitting, and laying up your own for two years, you can probably do much better. If you want the convenience of somebody else doing all the work for you, be prepared to pay the price. It's a free market. As long as people are willing to pay someone to do the work, the price is what it is.

I buy logs in the round for $95 a cord and I wouldn't buck, split, lay up for two years and then deliver, the stack for anybody else even at the price they are complaining about. Let the lazy asses do all their own work or go back to the alternative fuel.

Agreed buying log loads is the smart thing to do...inexpensive, easy to work, working right out the back door at your convenience. You establish a relationship with these guys and sooner or later you can expect a call... 'hey I got a deal for you'.

kenny chaos said:
These people can't and/or don't want to cut thier own.
and somehow we should feel sorry for them or vote communism?

It's a free market. They are free to vote with their wallet.

yes its hard work,when i was younger i would landscape in the summer and do the wood in the off season its tough on your body,and i fully understand the work that goes in to that cord of wood.but to the people who are overcharging it will come back to bite you in your ass.you to are subject to the rules of the free market, and your loyal customers will be someone else's loyal customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.