I want to love my new Harman, but I’m not convinced yet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cool way of doing the pipe.. The room manual thing is not my favorite due to heat going outside during idle.
There is waste heat doing that, but it's not really using that many pellets to keep the stove hot once it's hot. It uses a lot of pellets during startup. My theory is once I get past the startup surge, I let it run for hours and the stove gets hot like a wood stove, and warms up the floors and the walls. On auto-ignite mode, it didn't warm up the floors and walls like that, and still used about the same amount of pellets.

With the softwood pellets you use, I can imagine the stove gets really hot, and there would be a lot of wasted heat

Reactions: Mt Bob
There is waste heat doing that, but it's not really using that many pellets to keep the stove hot once it's hot. It uses a lot of pellets during startup. My theory is once I get past the startup surge, I let it run for hours and the stove gets hot like a wood stove, and warms up the floors and the walls. On auto-ignite mode, it didn't warm up the floors and walls like that, and still used about the same amount of pellets.

With the softwood pellets you use, I can imagine the stove gets really hot, and there would be a lot of wasted heat
Yep,since people have been talking about it,I did a bit of observation tests. In room /manual, or hi/low compared to other stoves, mine, when in lo or maintain, very few pellets,no room blower,of course, and combustion fan goes to it's lowest speed. Stove door and sides never go below 200f. In manual mode, combustion motor speed depends on the heat setting,and the probe. If running feed way low, combustion fan stays higher, as probe never sees the heat for the setting.
But like last 2 days and nights, mine has been in room/manual, because of this -20 weather. Flames kick up about every 1/2 hour. If I was to use manual the way some do, I would be constantly fiddling with it, as temps outside go up and down, and sun on house. And, every time the flames kick up, you get somewhat of a cleaning. To each his/her own.

Yep.

For those that don't remove the ESP how do you clean the exhaust out. I run a brush through mine, and the amount of stuff that it brings out isn't bad but there is enough to see when I look out though it.

I use a regular 3" exhaust brush. I'm just careful about not ramming it straight into the ESP.

I blow my exhaust out with shop vac or I have an attachment on my electric leaf blower.
IMG_20190204_184214 (1).jpg

That’s a great idea Rich, is that just foam cut to fit?

Yep

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have never ran it in stove temp mode. I usually leave it on manual because most of the winter if it left on auto and it is cold, by the time it completes the shut down it is not off for long before it fires back up. Once it warms up I run auto usually.

Suggestions on stove temp mode and a starting point for settings? Thank you.

I have never ran it in stove temp mode. I usually leave it on manual because most of the winter if it left on auto and it is cold, by the time it completes the shut down it is not off for long before it fires back up. Once it warms up I run auto usually.

Suggestions on stove temp mode and a starting point for settings? Thank you.
I’ve have an Accentra insert in my family room and a P-43 in my basement. Over the years, I’ve run both on stove temp manual. I only run my stoves when the outside temperature is going to be below 30 degrees. Settings are typically between 1-3 on the temperature dial with a pellet feed setting of 3. I ran as a temperature setting as high of 6 when it was below zero outside.

I start both my stoves manually by soaking two handfuls of pellets in 92% rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes, then emptying in the burn pot and lighting. I start in the auto position and then switch to manual to prevent the igniters from starting.

Last edited:
For those that don't remove the ESP how do you clean the exhaust out. I run a brush through mine, and the amount of stuff that it brings out isn't bad but there is enough to see when I look out though it.
a standard 3" pellet vent brush will go right past it. Just watch when pulling it back the rod dont jump onto the narrow side of the probe. If it does just push it back in some to get it to jump the the other side.

I blow my exhaust out with shop vac or I have an attachment on my electric leaf blower.
View attachment 292524
Thinking about blowing mine out from inside this spring. Always took a 3" brush and pushed back in from outside. Vacuumed whatever i pushed in with long attachment.. your way looks inviting..

Correct.. its why i dont use it.. stove mode on lower feed and temp on #6 has been doing good this winter. Not going thru pellets as fast now and able to keep the P61A beast at constant 72-73. If need more heat i bump up the fan. Not the feed.. seems to work.

I’ve have an Accentra insert in my family room and a P-43 in my basement. Over the years, I’ve run both on stove temp manual. I only run my stoves when the outside temperature is going to be below 30 degrees. Settings are typically between 1-3 on the temperature dial with a pellet feed setting of 3. I ran as a temperature setting as high of 6 when it was below zero outside.

I start both my stoves manually by soaking two handfuls of pellets in 92% rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes, then emptying in the burn pot and lighting. I start in the auto position and then switch to manual to prevent the igniters from starting.
What is the point of doing that when the stove is made to do it for you?

I doubt not using it will save it. It's still subject to the heat that destroys them. Might as well use it. Besides it's not that expensive. I found on AUTO vs manual I use less pellets. In a month I bet it pays for the Igniter
My harman ignitor lasted 7 yrs using room auto 24/7.. harmans are the cadillac of ignitors.. i paid for the room auto technology. Its like not using your cars AC just to save gas.

Because I don’t want to replace the igniters every few years and I enjoy lighting the stoves manually.
My former boss wouldn't let us use the color printer, because he said when it broke our employer wouldn't give us a new one, so in theory it would last forever if we never used it. Right???

So instead we printed photos and maps in black and white, which looked like crap,. My boss on the other hand "accidentally" printed to the color printer all the time.

He retired, we got a new boss, and we got a new color copier with no stupid restrictions.

My igniter lasted 6 years and my stove runs in room temp auto 99.9% of the time. Put a new one in in less than an hour and was back in business. My stove runs on an ecobee thermostat and cycles when needed.

I haven't replaced an ignitor yet. 8 years with the P61a - extremelyrare to have it off room temp / auto (I think overnight twice this year when it was down in the negative teens). I've had the P43 for 6.5 years, bought used from an individual (it's a 2012 model), and haven't had to replace the igniter on that either. Sure, sometimes use a method that doesn't let it shut down, but those are usually only 8-12 hours at a time and are probably balanced out by the times the stove just gets shut down and has to restart.

But, if you enjoy lighting manually, go for it - not like I'm paying for any of your expenses so would have a say in how you use your stuff :)

My harman ignitor lasted 7 yrs using room auto 24/7.. harmans are the cadillac of ignitors.. i paid for the room auto technology. Its like not using your cars AC just to save gas.
The current Harman igniters are very good. I have only had to replace 1 igniter all season on a Harman. I have serviced probably 50 Harmans this season.

Still on the original igniter on our P43 , 9 yrs now. Do have a spare if we need one.

sam

But, if you enjoy lighting manually, go for it - not like I'm paying for any of your expenses so would have a say in how you use your stuff :)
I was thinking that too... just didn't know how to say it.

Reactions: Tonyray