I will do a break-in fire tonight, my wife is not happy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beast is the correct term. I just came from home and the house was a chilly kinda dank 61 deg.. I just couldn't help myself as I grabbed a few splits of old ratty ash I am using for this month. It took 30 minutes to make a fire I was comfortable to damper down and go back to work. When I get home at 6:00 it will no doubt be to warm but hey it's rainy and chilly today.

Before I started the fire I actually turned the furnace shut off switch to on and had my hand on the thermostat and said goodby to a perfectly good $4 gallon of oil.

You know Heartstone use to make a Hearthstone I model if I rightly remember.That was a monstrousity.I was introduced to it at a ski lodge in Maine during a sub-zero week-end.It played a dirty trick on us and ran us out into the cold.We couldn't wait for that thing to burn out so we could get back to a more sane heat level.If the Equinox is anything like it's grandfather get out the towels you'll need em.I await more delicious chronicles.

cozy heat said:
Sounds like you got to what I call 'mode 1' of the secondary burn. The tubes do look like a gas grill - each one having an individual flame shooting out (actually smoke combusting around the oxygen being introduced). When you get to 'mode 2' the whole top of the firebox will be a shimmering / dancing ball of flames. This is the 'really high heat' output mode. My stovetop temps can easily hit 800-900F. Then you know you're burning every last speck of smoke!

All I can say is WOW. 800- 900
Isnt that about 200 degrees past reasonable?

ScottF said:
My wife is still jabbing me, not wanting me to be too dissapointed when our new stove won’t keep up when it gets really cold. I wanted to really crank it up to show her but I just told her “I’m not worried at all”. I tried to explain to her that we were barely using the stoves potential but she wasn’t interested in watching the burn tubes or hearing about secondary burns

I cant believe she didnt want to hear about the secondary burn tubes. That is good stuff. My wife loves to hear me ramble on about that stuff. I thought all girls loved that topic. Maybe you should make some kind of agreement now about how she is going to cater to you after it is -20 degrees outside and the house feels like Miami beach. Maybe you should agree that when that happens she listens to 1 full hour each day of intense stove talk with a high degree of interest. Just an idea. Not neccisasarily a good one.

I love stove talk! Thats why I hang out here too much!
The BF gets a bit bored probably.
He checks in to see how my chimney cleanings/inspections goes and asks for details~ that's love, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.