I1200 and ZC Operating Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potatohead

May 27, 2008
Eastern MA
Any I1200 owners out there who have theirs installed into a ZC fireplace?

What operating temperature do you typically bring it up to? I am a beginner and have been doing the break in fires the past couple of nights. I did a 200 and 300 degree fire, and attempted a 400 degree fire last night, but had a hard time getting it up that high. It may be that I wasn't putting enough wood in (I have only been putting 2-3 mid size pieces in at a time filling the box about 30-40% full.

I put my thermometer directly above the door.

Also, the grille above the insert is hot to the touch - I can hold my hand on it for about 4 seconds before having to move it off. Is that normal for a zc installation? My fireplace has a fan that circulates air around the box. If I turn that on the grille drops in temperature pretty quickly. Should I leave that on all the time? (please note - this is NOT the blower fan that came with the insert - but the fan that is part of the zc fireplace itself).

I have a majestic WMII42A(D) pre fab fireplace if that helps.

I'm assuming this is a Regency I1200, is that correct? It sounds like you are doing things correctly. Sometimes it can be hard to get a good reading on the face of some inserts. 400+ on the front surface should be a good hot fire assuming that good dry wood is being burnt. Often the best indicator of temp is when the stove engages good secondary burning. The firebox has to be hot for that to occur.

Here's a Canadian video that has a lot of helpful information about burning and what it should look like:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

i have the same setup 1200i in a prefab em-42 heat an glow, it is hard to find a good spot to get the temp, i bought a lazer temp gun at sears ,when things are good an hot glass reads 750 to 800 but body of insert maybe 350 to 400.i had no luck with sick on temp gauges. i also turn on the blower from the prefab on low once the insert gets warm up, that helps keep the hot air from building up behind the suround.so far so good no problems. you will be much happy with the new setup. fill it up with wood get it going cut the air an leave it alone its a small unit but a work horse . any other question just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.