IBC totes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ben94122

Burning Hunk
Sep 4, 2017
California
This is how I process wood: split, throw in the IBC tote, park in the sun for the summer, then stack the totes in a pole shed for the winter. I put the tote on a pallet with wheels on my deck, roll it over to the back door, then put the splits into a woodbox on wheels that rolls next to the stove.
1588111744250.png

1588111873745.png

1588111854745.png

Looks neat? Any issue with small solid wheels and all that weight on the floor?

FP shop where I brought my insert told me to get a hand truck with larger air-filled tires to bring it inside, not solid wheels.

No problems so far, and no marring of the floor. The box isn't all that heavy, maybe a couple hundred pounds full. The casters are from a harbor freight furniture dolly rated to 1000#

This is how I process wood: split, throw in the IBC tote, park in the sun for the summer, then stack the totes in a pole shed for the winter. I put the tote on a pallet with wheels on my deck, roll it over to the back door, then put the splits into a woodbox on wheels that rolls next to the stove.
View attachment 259780
View attachment 259782
View attachment 259781
Might have a line on a bunch of these bins for free. Thinking how I can make it work with my set up. Always looking at ways to improve getting the wood to the stove!

Might have a line on a bunch of these bins for free. Thinking how I can make it work with my set up. Always looking at ways to improve getting the wood to the stove!
I got mine for free and gave away the tank inside, could have gotten rid of many more tanks if I had them. I cut out the metal frame work on the side where there was a large gray plastic cover. The cover has clips on it so I can cover the hole back up. Makes it way easier for getting inside when the wood gets to just below half way and down. I write the date on the plastic cover so I can keep track of what it is and when it was split. I stack two rows of 16"splits across the short dimension, each pushed to the outer wall. Then I stack splits in the gap in the middle. I stack a couple 2X4 across the top row of the cage and put the tarp on. The 2X4's make the tarp have a peak for water to run off. I don't have any way to go thru the yard to pick them up full. I might move them to my concrete pad next to my shop and I can use my forklift to move them. The picture is from when I started to fill them up. They make a good holder for uglies.

Attachments

• EE90B9EC-3B64-486F-BF31-2C8D0EA5DFCD.jpeg
    EE90B9EC-3B64-486F-BF31-2C8D0EA5DFCD.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 224
Got my free totes. 17 of them. Fold down for easy storage. Found a use for a couple of them, filled with short uglies.
20200529_181518.jpg
20200529_181659.jpg

Got my free totes. 17 of them. Fold down for easy storage. Found a use for a couple of them, filled with short uglies.

Nice score! I haven't pulled the trigger on any of these yet although I would like to have a few for the same thing, the uglies. The best I have found around here is $55 apiece if you buy three or more (tote only, no tank) and they're about a two-hour drive away.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Nice score! I haven't pulled the trigger on any of these yet although I would like to have a few for the same thing, the uglies. The best I have found around here is $55 apiece if you buy three or more (tote only, no tank) and they're about a two-hour drive away.
Keep looking there are so many out there that somebody has them for free.I have yet to buy any and i am getting close to 25 of them now.I use them mostly for used oil for my furnace in my shop,but once the tank is cracked i use the cage for wood,parts and other bulk storage.I get about 5 free ones a year without any effort