ID = 4 pics...3 types of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Found a nice place 10 minutes from house. 15 acre and 45 acre property and both said I can take as much as I want, whenever I get to it. Very happy.

First 2 I think are locust? I am not sure though.

001%2520%25282%2529.jpg

002%2520%25282%2529.jpg

Next pic, I think the big round is sassafrass? Not sure if it gets this big.
003%2520%25282%2529.jpg

This last pic is of some rounds I picked up in the spring. Guy told me he thought it was hickory. I can't split for the life of me....I even tried cutting in 10 inch lengths with no success. It is rock hard wood. Will need a splitter for them.
004%2520%25282%2529.jpg

I have also scrounged from the properties a good amount of mulberry. And, I am planning on working on a very large red oak that fell in the snow storm in October. Think I will be renting a splitter for a weekend in February.

You got the first two right. The last is hard to tell but my guess would be pignut hickory based on how hard you said it was to split.

#1 Locust
#2 yes, Sass, but I believe I see some Osage Orange there also.
#3 Looks like it may be Hickory.

nrford said:
#1 Locust
#2 yes, Sass, but I believe I see some Osage Orange there also.
#3 Looks like it may be Hickory.

Osage Orange? Where? I don't know what it looks like but now I am curious!

Never burned locust. Hear it is good?

I think the suspected hedge chunks are prob mulberry. I see two Y shaped pieces with yellowish orange wood.

first two are definately locust....second looks like it could be some katalpa (cigar tree), possibly red sassafras.......third looks like oak to me.....but you say it's hard to split so possibly elm?....esp with that white fungi growing at the bark slip.........you will know if that second wood is katalpa or sassafras because the smoke will have a perfumy-like smell........katalpa and sassafras aren't the best woods to burn though.....locust is my fave!....nice find, always pays to stop at those lots where there's lots of deads and ask, you never know!!

BTW locust is probably second only to elm......it burns hot (even if slightly green) and has a great coal bed.....great for overnight burns......locust is my wood of choice!!

lukem said:
I think the suspected hedge chunks are prob mulberry. I see two Y shaped pieces with yellowish orange wood.

Agreed. He said he scrounged some Mulberry so I assume thats in the pile?

first 2 are indeed locust
third is in fact sassafrass (big rounds in the middle anyway) with some other random pieces of mulberry (and 1 lone beech)
last one looks like it could be hickory... its sure growing the shrooms like mine does

You sir, have some nice wood.

dannynelson77 said:
lukem said:

Agreed. He said he scrounged some Mulberry so I assume thats in the pile?

+1 on mulberry. Getting tired of cutting that stuff.

Thanks for all the help. I am pretty sure the suspected osage is mulberry...looked again this afternoon and I pretty sure that all came from same tree. YEs, I have lots of mulberry....but, I know it splits fairly easy.

Last year this time, I was scrounging, begging, and taking wood from my dad. People said soon enough I will have more wood than I know what to do with....not there yet, but I sure have much more now than I would have thought this time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.