Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Labfriend

Dec 23, 2018
Virginia
I scrounge Craigs List and Facebook for my firewood. I recently got what I thought to be oak but after splitting some I am not sure. It is freshly cut and when I split it is very stringy. any thought or help would be appreciated. The smell is sour and pungent, similar to the fresh oak I have cut before. I posted a couple of pics below. Thanks
Preview attachment 20230104_123607.jpg
Preview attachment 20230104_123614.jpg

20230104_123614.jpg
6.3 MB

cleardot.gif

icon_1_image_x16.png

20230104_123607.jpg
4.8 MB

I can't see the pics.

It would be easier to tell with a straight-on end grain pic, but I think I see the rays...?

Thanks for the help. I am not convinced it is oak but of course, I will still burn it in 2- 3 years.
I'd be willing to put money on it being Oak. The split pic is pretty convincing. You may be able to see "medullary rays" on the end grain, although they are sometimes hard to pick out. These are light-colored lines radiating out from the center of the round.
Oak rays.jpg

Definitely red oak. Have you tried raking a whiff of it freshly cut?