Idea for storing saw(s) and gear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
It's a New Year so I'm (for the moment) committing to getting all three of my Stihl chainsaws up off the gravel floor off the barn and hanging securely so they're easily accessible and safe. I'd also like to put in some hanging hooks for chains that need sharpening and some sort of fold-down table / workbench for filing, tinkering, etc.

Anyone have any good tips before I embark on this endeavor? Pictures welcome. Also, I can't imagine a reason NOT to store the saws hanging bar-tip down but is there?

I like to have them sitting flat so I'm not testing the oil & gas caps .. Usually on a pig blanket .. ==c

It's a New Year so I'm (for the moment) committing to getting all three of my Stihl chainsaws up off the gravel floor off the barn and hanging securely so they're easily accessible and safe. I'd also like to put in some hanging hooks for chains that need sharpening and some sort of fold-down table / workbench for filing, tinkering, etc.

Anyone have any good tips before I embark on this endeavor? Pictures welcome. Also, I can't imagine a reason NOT to store the saws hanging bar-tip down but is there?
The Stihl dealer in our area where I bought my saws gave me these for storing chains. I have a second spot where the majority of my chains hang. Most of the chains in the picture are milling chains.

You can hang the bars from them too.

The saws that I'm not using are stored on a wooden shelve.

104_1382.JPG 104_1383.JPG

Last edited:
All my gas tools and toys are stored in my walk in basement. I recently started putting the red plastic gas containers in a large bin. Amazing the gas smell when I open it. Thats the reason I keep the saw in the Stihl saw case. the bed of the case collects the chain oil that runs back in the bar guard.

Well, i feel like a low man on the totem pole. I have a shelf that runs my entire garage and the 2 saws live there. My "gear" lives in a double milk crate next to the saws.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. My 455 and 140 Huskies live on a shelf, next to the "field gear" milk crate. The milk crate has spare chains in a Folger's coffee can, wedges, 3# hammer, quart of bar oil, 2 quart fuel cans, sqwrench, gloves, and chain sharpener. Spare bars, and other spare chains are hung on a nail on the wall behind the saws. I like the KISS system.

I just got some shelving brackets and took a treated 2×10 and bored through with the saws and put them in the slots nose down. I did the same for all my trimmers/weedeaters cutting a slot the size of the shaft hanging them by the heads. Mounted that one close to my 10ft ceiling.