Ideal spot for damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bruh44

Mar 6, 2020
North Carolina
I've got a 25-30 foot chimney that's 6" and lined. It goes through a large masonry chimney that I'm not getting into in the middle anyplace. The only options are at the bottom right behind the stove. This section is parallel to the ground for about one foot before it makes a 90 degree angle up the main chimney. The other option is at the top of the chimney. Both would be difficult to manipulate. No clue how I would manipulate one on top of the house. The one behind the stove is in a tough spot I would have to try to manipulate with a fire poker unless there is a damper with a longer mechanical arm I could set up.
Any ideas?

I've got a 25-30 foot chimney that's 6" and lined. It goes through a large masonry chimney that I'm not getting into in the middle anyplace. The only options are at the bottom right behind the stove. This section is parallel to the ground for about one foot before it makes a 90 degree angle up the main chimney. The other option is at the top of the chimney. Both would be difficult to manipulate. No clue how I would manipulate one on top of the house. The one behind the stove is in a tough spot I would have to try to manipulate with a fire poker unless there is a damper with a longer mechanical arm I could set up.
Any ideas?
It can't be at the top so which ever of the other 2 options will be easiest to access will be best

I haven't ever seen any off the shelf dampers with a pull rod, but as long as nothing was in the way of a straight pull, it probably wouldn't be difficult to fab something.
Awkward reaching around a hot stove isn't so safe. I have an awkward bypass lever on one of my stoves, and I have had the burns to prove my theory!