Ideal steel burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’m looking at the IS for buying in near future. I like the hybrid design. I like the flame show in non-cats. When the bypass is engaged in the IS, do you still get that rolling secondaries look or does is look more like a cat stove at that point?

I’m looking at the IS for buying in near future. I like the hybrid design. I like the flame show in non-cats. When the bypass is engaged in the IS, do you still get that rolling secondaries look or does is look more like a cat stove at that point?

As an IS user myself, the short answer is yes you can see secondary combustion with the catalyst activated. Generally it will occur when the stove top temp is over 500 and the cat temps are over 1,000. In my case I noticed them every time regardless of wood type if my cat temps were in the 1,100 to 1,200 range. The secondaries are absolutely mesmerizing!

Reactions: branchburner
Great to know! I love that video. It’s cool how the secondaries are lit off to such an even degree. Looks like a very controllable stove

Great to know! I love that video. It’s cool how the secondaries are lit off to such an even degree. Looks like a very controllable stove

Yes the air control on the Ideal Steel is great! There's a large lever at the bottom of the stove with different "notches" that tell you where the air setting is. I don't have a good photo of that part but the different lines are very easy to read. When I shut the stove down to prep for a long burn, I will usually set it a few notches underneath the mark for the 1/4 air setting. Even at just 1/4 air it will run for a decent amount of time with good hardwoods.

Reactions: valuman
The bypass just lets firebox smoke shoot right up the flue during warmup or when opening the door. After the bypass is closed (like 99% of the burning life) then all of the hybrid air sources are in play. You can choose low and slow with no flames, or gates of hell with high flames, or anywhere in between. The secondary air plate on the back/roof of the IS is pretty unique in how it shoots the secondary air into the firebox. Not like rows of tubes on the more basic stoves.

I like that it is reasonably large at 3.2 cubic feet and a front loader.

Reactions: valuman
Secondary air plate? Anyone have any pictures of this?

Did WS ever get the crack remedied on the IS?

Secondary air plate? Anyone have any pictures of this?

Did WS ever get the crack remedied on the IS?

Here's the inside of my stove right after it was installed (you'll ever see it that clean again lol!!) The plate where the secondaries happen is the metal sheet on top of the firebox with the holes.
68733976_10156536912357849_5643838952545714176_o.jpg

I don't know about any issues with cracks in the secondary plate or any other metal parts/areas of the stove but sometimes the firebricks or soapstone blocks on the inside of the stove can crack during shipping but they'll send you the correct sized replacement for free if you notice one is broke after you get the stove put in.

Stuff was melting on top. Oh wait, cracks on the door frame right? Above the hinge?

Highbeam ... yep. I heard they were working on it, but I never did revisit the thread where I read about it.

I was two days from ordering that very stove when I seen that. Thought I’d hold out for awhile. That gave me time to look at other stoves. Even bought a few used ones to try before buying, and eventually changed my mind.

One of the nice things about Woodstock is they fix stuff for improvement as they go. If this involves new parts they’re quite reasonably priced. The newer IS has interior shielding that was in response to field problems.

Reactions: Hoytman
I actually think the secondaries are BETTER in the Ideal than in non-cats, thanks to it being a hybrid. Sometimes while the stove is cruising I will open up the air for a few moments and then shut it back down, just to get a quick show of rolling "ghost flames" (which can be blue, at times).

I actually think the secondaries are BETTER in the Ideal than in non-cats, thanks to it being a hybrid. Sometimes while the stove is cruising I will open up the air for a few moments and then shut it back down, just to get a quick show of rolling "ghost flames" (which can be blue, at times).
Yes, the video clip that Woodburner posted is cool. FWIW, many stove will show ghost flames at the right moment. The T6 gets them too. And the light show in the Castine with its blue fountain of fire was great.