Ideal Steel update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The add on stuff didn't attract me either until I got it. Then it was like "wow" this thing is cool. It all comes together very nice when you have it in person. It is a more modern look so I don't expect everyone to like it.

The cool thing is you can order it plain Jane and add the stuff later if you want. You can take this whole stove apart and put it back together.

Attachments

• 20140906_133613.jpg
    20140906_133613.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 20140906_133904.jpg
    20140906_133904.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 787
In my opinion, that is the best looking IS I have seen yet. The add on stuff doesn't do a thing for me.

Have to agree. The bling detracts from the basic lines of the stove. To me it looks much better without it. But there may be some homes where the gearhead look work, especially if there is a bike also hanging on the wall.

Reactions: CptJera
I liked the decorations and spent about a week trying to decide what I wanted, then I started to think all of those little nooks and crannies would attrack dust and be hard to clean especially when hot. I am a single, widower and believe me cleaning and dusting are very low on my to do list. The less I have to do the better !
I like the clean square lines.

The add on stuff didn't attract me either until I got it. Then it was like "wow" this thing is cool. It all comes together very nice when you have it in person. It is a more modern look so I don't expect everyone to like it.

The cool thing is you can order it plain Jane and add the stuff later if you want. You can take this whole stove apart and put it back together.

From your photo I can see the sidewalls of the firebox are soapstone but it looks like regular firebrick on the bottom. Is it cardboard I'm seeing or brick?

The photo is not very good. It is all soapstone lined, no firebrick. The brown you are seeing is wood, the little bluish spot through the glass is a flame burning,

The bottom of the box is regular firebrick. That is not as critical as the ash layer helps insulate the box.

This is the same old 'form versus function' thing that BK has been dealing with for years. From all I read on the other site, this stove is an awesome performer, but clearly has a look that will not appeal to all of us. Although I must admit that it is starting to grow on me. Especially with all the new color combinations coming out. Like I said, to each his own.

10 hours later this happened when I opened up the air.

Attachments

• 20150124_083122.jpg
    20150124_083122.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 471
I agree with the comments about the looks. I was on the fence about the Progress Hybrid. I am heating from the basement in a room that is visible, but does not stand out much. It seemed like a waste to hide a Progress.

I wanted a workhorse and that's what I got. I wanted the extra mass of the soapstone and the standing bear andirons do look really cool. I also love the top burners with my lantern design. If you are on the fence about buying one because of the looks, make sure you see one in person. You might change your mind. If you live near me I would be glad to show it to you.

I agree with the comments about the looks. I was on the fence about the Progress Hybrid. I am heating from the basement in a room that is visible, but does not stand out much. It seemed like a waste to hide a Progress.

I wanted a workhorse and that's what I got. I wanted the extra mass of the soapstone and the standing bear andirons do look really cool. I also love the top burners with my lantern design. If you are on the fence about buying one because of the looks, make sure you see one in person. You might change your mind. If you live near me I would be glad to show it to you.

How do you get the heat up from the basement to the rest of the house? If my stove was in the basement I wouldn't care how it looked and definitely wouldn't buy spiffy model.

I live fairly close to you. Can I borrow it for a weekend? lol. They only sell the stoves directly from the manufacturer right? I wish there was a showroom near me.

Heating from the basement works well for me. I insulated and air sealed the whole basement. I blew 26 bags of cellulose into the garage ceiling/ bedroom floor. I brought my attic insulation up to code and air sealed most of that. So running this stove and heating both levels is a piece of cake. It definitely warms the rooms. The Quad was more convective and brought the temps up but the house felt cold. This thing effectively heats the house and you feel warm. I never wear long sleeves inside.

If you ever plan to come up to lancaster give me a heads up. I'll show it to you.

Do you feel that the "works" model is worth the added cost?
I wondered the same. After adding the soapstone and ashpan I wanted, I figured what the heck. We have power outages, get a cook top....It was fun coming up with a design also. From a basement performance standpoint, I can echo what JA600 says.

Heating from the basement works well for me. I insulated and air sealed the whole basement. I blew 26 bags of cellulose into the garage ceiling/ bedroom floor. I brought my attic insulation up to code and air sealed most of that. So running this stove and heating both levels is a piece of cake. It definitely warms the rooms. The Quad was more convective and brought the temps up but the house felt cold. This thing effectively heats the house and you feel warm. I never wear long sleeves inside.

If you ever plan to come up to lancaster give me a heads up. I'll show it to you.

So why do you think the IS makes the house feel warmer vs the Quad (whatever that is lol)? Could it just be because you've taken the time to insulate your house? The soapstone lining?

I don't really understand how they expect to sell stoves when people are unable to see it. How do people even know about them?

I wondered the same. After adding the soapstone and ashpan I wanted, I figured what the heck. We have power outages, get a cook top....It was fun coming up with a design also. From a basement performance standpoint, I can echo what JA600 says.

Okay I have a dumb question. If you don't splurge for the cook top, there's no way to use the top as a cooking platform? I should probably just download/request a catalog or something from the company. I bet most of my questions are already spelled out somewhere.

You can cook on any top of a stove technically. The middle burner on this stove comes off and you can cook on the stainless plate directly above the cat for sautéing and boiling.

How many sq ft are you guys heating? I am looking to have mine in the lower level living area with a open floor plan built for heating with a woodstove. I may be in the process of building a new house this summer and am really leaning towards the IS. But I will probably be a little over the recommended sq ft.

Running a quadra-fire 3100 in the 2300 sq ft house I'm renting right now and it is nice, keeps the house plenty warm (sometimes too warm) but not a fan of the heat it up and glide method. Thats why I'm looking for a cat or hybrid.

I'm heating about 1800 sqft. I can tell that this stove is overkill for my house. I've heard of a lot of guys stuffing it full to get their heat in large older houses. I don't need to do that unless it's really cold. I wouldn't be afraid to heat a bigger house with it. Especially new construction. With a well insulated house you could run it low and slow and really save on wood like I am.

Square footage heated is a huge variable outside of the stove capacity. Houses vary enormously in their design, ceiling heights, insulation and location. We've seen 3 cu ft stoves in leaky, poorly insulated 1000 sq ft houses and in 3500 sq ft houses, where in both cases the homeowner was happy with the fit. It's a judgement call that has to be made on the house + environment and not on the size alone.

Reactions: Tar12 and Quentin2
You can cook on any top of a stove technically. The middle burner on this stove comes off and you can cook on the stainless plate directly above the cat for sautéing and boiling.

Nice. I can't wait to cook something on it. It will be like camping right in my living room.

Can someone tell me what the dimensions are for the inside of the fire box?

It's a 3.2 cubic foot capacity. You can fit 22" splits east and west. 18" North and South. It's a little too hot to get the tape out.

Good input on the thread! Placing our order today. Here's the design we chose. Wife likes the design stuff and as someone else mentioned, the more I looked, the more it grew on me. Since I'll be sitting nearby and staring at it a lot during our winters, may as well have something nice to look at, right?

By the way, I'm backing mine up to an existing fireplace and 20' tall (soon to be lined) chimney. Can you give a yay or nay on including an inline damper? Is it needed with this stove? Thx!

Attachments

• OurStoveDesign.jpeg
    OurStoveDesign.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
It's a 3.2 cubic foot capacity. You can fit 22" splits east and west. 18" North and South. It's a little too hot to get the tape out.

thank you for that. I was curious to what would fit north/south. do you pack your stove full or just put a handful of splits in?
I'm also curious to know about a damper in the flue pipe. I'm not sure what the length my stainless liner is but I have an interior chimney that's on my first floor and goes up through my second floor, attic and about 4 foot out of my roof near the peak. I would guess that I am in the 24/25 foot range.

thank you for that. I was curious to what would fit north/south. do you pack your stove full or just put a handful of splits in?
I'm also curious to know about a damper in the flue pipe. I'm not sure what the length my stainless liner is but I have an interior chimney that's on my first floor and goes up through my second floor, attic and about 4 foot out of my roof near the peak. I would guess that I am in the 24/25 foot range.

I don't pack my stove full unless it's really cold. I am away 11 hours for work so if it is in the 20's or higher I fill it, but not packed. When the high is under 20 I'll make more effort to fit more in. Either way I come home to a warm house. It just depends how warm you want it. My house is well insulated. I don't use a damper. Most people don't bother.

Good input on the thread! Placing our order today. Here's the design we chose. Wife likes the design stuff and as someone else mentioned, the more I looked, the more it grew on me. Since I'll be sitting nearby and staring at it a lot during our winters, may as well have something nice to look at, right?

By the way, I'm backing mine up to an existing fireplace and 20' tall (soon to be lined) chimney. Can you give a yay or nay on including an inline damper? Is it needed with this stove? Thx!
Your wife has good taste - that looks super.

Status
Not open for further replies.