Ideas for a wood-sled behind a snowmobile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
Do any of you have any examples of or ideas for making a wood sled to tow behind one of my snowmobiles? My tractor just can't handle too much snow (and I live in the snowbelt) and it is impractical for me to plow all that far with the tractor.

I'm looking for something other than the class upside-down-car-hood because frankly that won't fly too well in my neighborhood or with my wife.

If you do much hauling and the sled is heavy you will likely burn through snowmobile belts pretty quickly. Make sure you have an extra or two on hand. (They can be expensive!)

derecskey said:
Do any of you have any examples of or ideas for making a wood sled to tow behind one of my snowmobiles? My tractor just can't handle too much snow (and I live in the snowbelt) and it is impractical for me to plow all that far with the tractor.

I'm looking for something other than the class upside-down-car-hood because frankly that won't fly too well in my neighborhood or with my wife.

You just need to make sure that it's a hood off a high class car - not a cheap POSmobile.... :coolsmirk:

Seriously, I'd consider something like an old fashioned toboggan or equivalent where you have a lot of surface area and a nice curved entry edge. For a low budget approach, and reasonably small amounts of wood, I've even heard of people using one of those cheap plastic kids toboggan things...

Gooserider

derecskey said:

Build a big box to set on it and nobody will know.
They will think you, "one clever fella."
Screw the neighborhood, and your wife. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.