Ideas on correct paint for maritime cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
I have a Shipmate model 1011, and want to paint the exterior to give it protection while in storage (and for sale). Some of the existing paint appears to be of a harder, glossier nature than your typical matte stove black. Any ideas?

2F4CEAEC-547F-4E17-80D6-694BB5BA200F.jpeg 64139AEB-E54A-45B2-8987-186F965B9AA1.jpeg 7D153838-3610-473E-98BB-32B736C94C8B.jpeg

Has the stove ever had stove black polish applied?

Doesn't look like it. The existing paint has a hard finish.

Might be Stove Rite gloss black. You'll want to steel wool or power wire brush the old paint to give it a bit of tooth for the new paint to bond to.

Any harm in prepping and spraying standard stove black for now, to give it some protection?

It probably had a gloss because it was used around water: fresh or salt.

Any harm in prepping and spraying standard stove black for now, to give it some protection?
What is standard stove black? If that means polish, I wouldn't. That is hard to remove if the intent is to paint it later on.

What is standard stove black? If that means polish, I wouldn't. That is hard to remove if the intent is to paint it later on.
No, more like rust oleum high temp spray.

I called makers of stove brite. They felt the original was a glossy baked on enamel. Recommended their semi gloss spray. Supposed to be heated for a few hours at about 450 to achieve best bond.

Was able to track down a can of semi gloss stove bright @$24.