Identification needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dspoon19

Feb 10, 2014
NE OHIO
Scored this DRY oak wood for only $10!! Got it from the steel mill near my home.

Can anyone identify what it was used for??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 266
I guess they used it as spacers between pieces of steel that were stacked on a truck or rail car. It looks dirty, as if something has been placed on top of it. I have seen steel on 18 wheelers with wood spacers between the pieces.

Definitely cribbing (spacers/blocks) material. We used similar pieces at my last employer to stack cast iron parts.

Looks like good stuff to burn though. Good find.

Probably from a nuc plant to store the wet rods after they are removed from the towers. I wouldn't use them. I could pick them up and dispose of them properly if you'd like.

Blocking, used for blocking, wedging , to keep heavy loads from shifting or to be able to get a fork lift under a load to lift. My dad had always cut truck loads from work .It was usually oak, ash or maple. A few times it had oil soaked into it , or paint , but was usually dry. Only problem I have noticed is if it was wet from rain and was stacked , it usually stayed wet . No air space to help the drying.

Wedges, to keep coiled steel from rolling on trailer bed while in transport.

Doesn't look quite right for Oak, at least in those three pics.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Doesn't look quite right for Oak, at least in those three pics.

Yea it's mostly maple and ash I am finding. A few pieces of oak mixed in.

Blocking, used for blocking, wedging , to keep heavy loads from shifting or to be able to get a fork lift under a load to lift. My dad had always cut truck loads from work .It was usually oak, ash or maple. A few times it had oil soaked into it , or paint , but was usually dry. Only problem I have noticed is if it was wet from rain and was stacked , it usually stayed wet . No air space to help the drying.

It just got a little water when I took the tarp off to cut it. I ended up stacking in the garage to keep it dry. Being the shape it is it stacks up awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.