Identify this Hearthstone heater please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comanche79p

Dec 12, 2012
Any clue which model this is?
Rear flu exit-25"
34H X 33W X 28D Hearthstone.jpg

It's an older model, that's for sure. But not that old. Probably late mid-to-late 1990s model if I were to guess. Looks to be about the same size as the Heritage, based on how it looks.

What would I pay for one, or what can you expect to pay?

The more I look at it the more I wonder if this is one of Herthstone's catalytic models that the had in the 90s. The lever above the side door seems like it could be a damper control. I don't remember how their cat stoves worked.

But, back to the price. What are you trying to accomplish? Because, just because the stove looks nice does not mean it will meet your needs. What is the stove listed at?

What would I pay for one, or what can you expect to pay?

The more I look at it the more I wonder if this is one of Herthstone's catalytic models that the had in the 90s. The lever above the side door seems like it could be a damper control. I don't remember how their cat stoves worked.

But, back to the price. What are you trying to accomplish? Because, just because the stove looks nice does not mean it will meet your needs. What is the stove listed at?

The owner said it was not a cat stove and it does have some sort of damper control on the side door.
I am looking for a rear discharge stove with a big firebox to put on a hearth in a cathedral ceiling log cabin at high altitude burning softwood. It has the right discharge height for my set-up and a big firebox.
The owner shot me a price of $1500 initially. I would not give that for it and it weighs over 700 lbs.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, I but I would think early 90s is a good bet. It's not too far distant from the Hearthstone I with the same handles, same damper placement, same legs, etc. No way would I pay $1,500 for a 30 year old stove! It "looks" to be in good shape, though and is probably a decent heater. It is worth exactly what someone will pay.

Edit: I guess that'd be 20 years not 30. Still...

First time I have seen one with white painted cast iron . I might be able to tell better by seeing the top of the stove.

Pretty sure that's a Hearthstone I, the bigger model - (apparently made from 1978-1988) but the ones I have seen before have a double door in front where yours has a single. That might mean the one you are showing is a little newer, but it still appears to be an older model, non EPA and probably no "air wash" which means that pretty front door glass might not stay clean. It does appear to be in great shape.
A hearth.com member posted his here and it is a huge stove which apparently works well for him...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearthstone-1-install.91204/
BUT, he only paid $150 for it. I also paid $150 for a hearthstone stove (the II model) which I never used, and resold for I think $400. As nice as this one looks I would not pay anywhere near what that guy is asking for it though, but if all someone is looking for is a big, pretty soapstone stove that costs less than a new one, who knows what he could get for it.

Begreen, sorry about the picture of the top.

I believe that tickbitty has this one nailed, a Hearthstone 1.

It will take some serious negotiating to get that one in the right price range and I don't think I can get it for under $1000.
I will keep looking.
Thanks for everyone's help. This is a great site with a lot of helpful people.

Heathstone II is what I was going to guess. It had the single door. But the pic of the top is too small to see. There were some models that came between the HI and HII and current models, but I forget the name of the larger one. The smaller one was called something like the Starlet I think. There should be a label on the back of the stove with its model.

First time I have seen one with white painted cast iron . I might be able to tell better by seeing the top of the stove.
Jotul had a few.

Pretty sure that's a Hearthstone I, the bigger model - (apparently made from 1978-1988) but the ones I have seen before have a double door in front where yours has a single. That might mean the one you are showing is a little newer, but it still appears to be an older model, non EPA and probably no "air wash" which means that pretty front door glass might not stay clean. It does appear to be in great shape.
A hearth.com member posted his here and it is a huge stove which apparently works well for him...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearthstone-1-install.91204/
BUT, he only paid $150 for it. I also paid $150 for a hearthstone stove (the II model) which I never used, and resold for I think $400. As nice as this one looks I would not pay anywhere near what that guy is asking for it though, but if all someone is looking for is a big, pretty soapstone stove that costs less than a new one, who knows what he could get for it.
That's not a Hearthstone I.

I'm wondering if this is a Hearthstone Harvest 8402. Looks like that may be the model. It would help to have a clear, normal sized picture of the top to tell.

That helps! OK, according to Woodmans it's a later model Hearthstone I. They went to the single door in the later years. The stone pattern is definitely the HI.

That helps! OK, according to Woodmans it's a later model Hearthstone I. They went to the single door in the later years. The stone pattern is definitely the HI.
Well, color me wrong. I thought when they revamped they designs the dropped the Hearthstone I name.

Surprised me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.