If your on the fence for an install, nows the time to act

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Ladies and gents, I just called for a home heating oil delivery this morning, the going price is 2.71gal >150gal in my area NNJ.
While I have enough oil to last me well into the new year, I foresee a lot of turbulence in the market in the coming weeks (Hurricane Harvey shut down a ton of refineries and pipelines that supply home heating oil)
The weather forecast isn't looking to good either, another Hurricane in the Atlantic is forming and seems to be sliding more east in the long range, I'm not fear mongering but the way the markets react, the prices to heat a home maybe going up.
To those who are on the fence with installing a new stove, or upgrading an existing one but are just waiting, now's the time to pull the trigger. We saw the same exact thing after hurricane Katrina hit the gulf, cheap fossil fuel prices shot sky high, many people (including my parents) decided in September / October that they wanted an alternative source of heat to counter the cost of oil / gas, unfortunately it was to late, many stove installers were fully booked and running low on stove stocks; my father ordered his basic insert at the end of September and they were finally able to have it installed at the end of February due to the stove being out of stock.

Reactions: jotulguy
You are correct sir. Top off your tanks now.

I'm sitting on 500 gallons and 8-10 cord of wood.
I was gona top off my tank, I need around 150 - 160 gals worth (just under half) but I'm going to wait it out, I filled the tank last August and just now crossed under the half way point.
I'm also sitting on about 10 cords of seasoned wood with another 8 or so drying out in the yard

The hurricane season is just warming up. September is typically the most active month.

The hay is in the barn at the highbeam house. All tanks of all sorts are full. Shouldn't you guys be filling your oil tanks this time of year regardless?

Something we notice when a disaster strikes is the price of OSB shoots up. Dang stuff is already at just under 18$ per sheet compared to 4$ per sheet several years ago. I will hate to see what the spike in building material prices will look like.

The hay is in the barn at the highbeam house. All tanks of all sorts are full. Shouldn't you guys be filling your oil tanks this time of year regardless?

Something we notice when a disaster strikes is the price of OSB shoots up. Dang stuff is already at just under 18$ per sheet compared to 4$ per sheet several years ago. I will hate to see what the spike in building material prices will look like.

Price of crude oil is going down due to refineries in TX taken off-line. Also, less demand due to the 4th largest city coming to a standstill and less flights. Just a blip in the bigger picture as long as refineries are not seriously damaged.

Our propane supplier advised us to get a fill no matter what the percentage is, since the price always jumps in the middle of September. So, I have a delivery scheduled next week when the road to the tank dries out enough