Igniter doesn't work on cold mornings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance1

Nov 12, 2008
I don't run my stove during sleeping hours and the mornings have been in the low teens. I have an OAK installed and even when the damper is closed all the way, I don't get an ignition. I clean the pot and wipe the igniter before startup.

Anyone else have this issue?

You don't give us much to work with, since you don't say what stove you have in your post, and nothing in your signature line.

Do you have the pot seated correctly?

If the pellets don't fall against the igniter they don't light very well, likewise closing off the draft starves a fire and that won't help matters one bit.

Does the igniter glow?

Lance1 said:
I don't run my stove during sleeping hours and the mornings have been in the low teens. I have an OAK installed and even when the damper is closed all the way, I don't get an ignition. I clean the pot and wipe the igniter before startup.

Anyone else have this issue?

Polishing my crystal ball and I think I can see a Breckwell in your house. But I am not sure.
Pull the damper out half way to light it. You need air for fire.
Please let us know about your stove, how old it is, and what your exhaust consists of.

Eric

That is a cool crystal ball you have (or you know how to do a search :) )

Beckwell P23 insert.

I have always lit it before with the damper closed to reduce the room smoke. It does ignite when the outside air is warmer.

Lance1 said:
That is a cool crystal ball you have (or you know how to do a search :) )

Beckwell P23 insert.

I have always lit it before with the damper closed to reduce the room smoke. It does ignite when the outside air is warmer.

Give it some air when you start it.

Do you have a cast or s/s burn bot?

how far does your exhaust go up and diameter of it?

Eric

I have a steel pot, welded together, looks OEM. Unit is about 10 years old.

3-4" SS hose going about 2 feet into the steel 8" stack. (cleaned at beginning of season) If the exact diameter is important to know, I'll open the insert and measure it.

(bought the house with the stove installed this way)

Lance1 said:
I have a steel pot, welded together, looks OEM. Unit is about 10 years old.

3-4" SS hose going about 2 feet into the steel 8" stack. (cleaned at beginning of season) If the exact diameter is important to know, I'll open the insert and measure it.

(bought the house with the stove installed this way)

Ok. Just checking to make sure it had been cleaned. Give it a couple trys with the damper approx. 1/2 way out or in depending on your view of the world around us.

Eric

What is strange is it seems the exhaust hose is filling up only after 3 bags. I used to be able to blow stuff out of the pot with the damper, now I can't.

Lance1 said:
What is strange is it seems the exhaust hose is filling up only after 3 bags. I used to be able to blow stuff out of the pot with the damper, now I can't.

When was the last time you cleaned the combustion blower? It is on the right side if looking at the stove.

Not trying to jump the gun but at 10 yrs old the girl is coming close to the end of the race.

Eric

"Not trying to jump the gun but at 10 yrs old the girl is coming close to the end of the race"

Damn. I'm 55. This explains a lot.

Jim

About a month ago. Yes, combustion blower is on the right side. Seems I need to clean it again because of the pellets.

I have been burning old stock with various brands, one season there was a pellet shortage in my town and I was buying anything that was available. The current brand is labeled "Future Fuel", from the absents of a claim of being hardwood, I assume it is softwood with lots of bark (dark in color).

I just bought Heath's brand from Home Depot for my winter supply.

You also mentioned smoke in the house when you start the insert.

Where is it coming from? You shouldn't get any smoke in the house if everything is properly sealed.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You also mentioned smoke in the house when you start the insert.

Where is it coming from? You shouldn't get any smoke in the house if everything is properly sealed.

Good nose there, Smokey. The bear is correct where is the smoke coming from, when, and how much?

Eric

It's just a whiff of smoke, it's probably coming for the OAK hose that I have not taped yet (long story). :red:

I do get a tiny amount ash coming out of the air wash port.

Lance1 said:
It's just a whiff of smoke, it's probably coming for the OAK hose that I have not taped yet (long story). :red:

I do get a tiny amount ash coming out of the air wash port.

For some reason I am being drawn to your combustion blower. Is it making any more noise than before?

Eric

I would tend to agree with the combustion blower. It seems that low quality pellets I'm getting rid of has pumped ash into the exhaust port. I wish there was an easy way to clean my exhaust configuration short of taking it apart. I just had it apart a month ago. The motor sounds the same and the amp draw is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.