Igniter is red hot---HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MightyMike16

Feb 8, 2021
Long Island
I recently installed a new ignitor in my Harmon Accentra2 Pellet stove. I ran the stove the entire weekend with no issues and let it go out on its own when the stove was out of pellets Monday morning. Shortly after the stove went out, I walked over to the unit and turned the power knob to the "Off" position.
A few days later, I walk by the stove and it is hot to the touch... I was OKAY..... After talking a closer look, I see that the ignitor is red hot... WTF.... I immediately unplugged the power from the stove and let it cool down. The next day, I plugged it back in and the same thing, with the stove in the "Off" position the ignitor got red hot. So now I've been without my fireplace cause I'm afraid to use it. Why would the ignitor get hot with the stove off? Is the ignitor bad? Is my control board sending power to it? I'm lost...

Any advice is much appreciated.

--Mike

high probability the triac on the board failed in the closed position and is feeding power all the time. they can be replaced alot cheaper than a new board but the harman boards are the least expensive ones out there. you could replace the board and be back to heating and have the old one repaired for a spare