Igniter stays on all the time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom M

Feb 18, 2015
PA
Hello I have an older Castile that's been a really good stove but the last couple of years it starting to have some issues just trying to get through this season. The problem I a, having is the igniter is staying on all the time even when the stove is not calling for heat thermo turned off... Checked the wiring diagram it it's pretty simple control box send signal to igniter when thermo calls for heater and blower comes on. So I figured that if the stove is just plugged in and heat is not calling to turn on the stove it should no allow power to the igniter so I assumed the control board was bad replaced it and it still does the same thing I have unplugged the thermo to make sure something isn't shorted and it still happens.... Anyone have any suggestions were to go ? Thanks in advance

Tom

Hello I have an older Castile that's been a really good stove but the last couple of years it starting to have some issues just trying to get through this season. The problem I a, having is the igniter is staying on all the time even when the stove is not calling for heat thermo turned off... Checked the wiring diagram it it's pretty simple control box send signal to igniter when thermo calls for heater and blower comes on. So I figured that if the stove is just plugged in and heat is not calling to turn on the stove it should no allow power to the igniter so I assumed the control board was bad replaced it and it still does the same thing I have unplugged the thermo to make sure something isn't shorted and it still happens.... Anyone have any suggestions were to go ? Thanks in advance

Tom
I've seen that issue on a Mt Vernon AE and the ignitor relay contacts were welded together. Replacing the relay fixed that. But with a new control board that's probably not the issue. At what point are you noticing the ignitor is still on after the fire is started? 10, 20, 30 minutes?

With the stove unplugged and the ignitor leads unplugged measures the resistance between the leads going to the control box. If 0 ohms or close to that you have shorted contacts. If it isn't that then it might be something on the timer side of the circuit. Will have to think about this more once you respond.

I've seen that issue on a Mt Vernon AE and the ignitor relay contacts were welded together. Replacing the relay fixed that. But with a new control board that's probably not the issue. At what point are you noticing the ignitor is still on after the fire is started? 10, 20, 30 minutes?

With the stove unplugged and the ignitor leads unplugged measures the resistance between the leads going to the control box. If 0 ohms or close to that you have shorted contacts. If it isn't that then it might be something on the timer side of the circuit. Will have to think about this more once you respond.

The igniter comes on as soon as I plug it in and remains on unless I unplug the stove from the outlet, I disconnected the thermo plugs just because and no difference , I then removed the new box and tried it nothing, I am going to open up the wire box the control box plugs into to see if I have shorted wires, this makes no sense to me at all. Just another piece of info it seemed like it is in start up mode when I did let it run pellets dropped no cycling

Well not sure what happened or not happened after I took everything well amount everything so I could trace wires I found nothing wrong reinstalled everything and tried it again and the stove is working fine go figure ???? Wish I had found something concrete to share thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.