igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobnoffs

Feb 18, 2014
woodruff, wisconsin
i have a harmon pp43. i have been lighting it with a little lighter fluid and a match and then flipping the igniter switch on and off to start the feed. when i do this does the igniter go off to or does it still run its set cycle?
thanks.

i have a harmon pp43. i have been lighting it with a little lighter fluid and a match and then flipping the igniter switch on and off to start the feed. when i do this does the igniter go off to or does it still run its set cycle?
thanks.
I also start my P43 manually. When starting it in stove mode, I have the igniter switch in the auto position so the igniter does not come on. Once the fire is burning nicely, I switch the igniter back to manual.

Over 90% of the time, my pellet feed will start automatically. When it does not, I turn the pellet feed knob to test mode and the pellet feed will start.

Get a Kill a Watt and you can see when it's running by how many Watts the stove is using. On Auto when started the Igniter runs. Switched to Auto will cause it to run. Then back to Manual it won't run again, but Stove will keep flame going. I found it uses more Pellets if House is warm enough. At most 1/3 bag when warm outside. I run Auto when warm and Manual when very cold.

I have no idea if it runs a set cycle but I in my little world think that
turning it on and off would be harder on the igniter than letting it run
a full cycle~!

let the stove light with the ignitor on then turn it off...precious ignitor will last looooong time..
stove mode keeps on cycle feeding forever or till hopper empty without any ignitor needed or used AFTER 1st light...
gotten 7 yrs out of mine running 24/7 and EZPZ to replace... [everyone wants to save prob the cheapest elecric driven part on the stove, you paid for the technology so why not use it?] kinda like not using your car's AC just to save gas...
room/auto is only mode where ignitor will re-light frequently.. room manual dribbles pellets for maint flames and doesn't use ignitor which you know.

Last edited:
My assumption is, and I could be wrong, that the ignitor starts heating up as soon as the stove is told to start and the switch is in auto. So, every time you flip the switch into auto, it goes on until the switch is flipped back to manual. Once the stove senses that it is lit, the igniter shuts down regardless of where the switch is at..

Reactions: johneh
I run mine off a thermostat, room temp manual. After I clean it I set the switch to auto once the stove turns on and starts I flip it to manual. The igniter runs through the cycle it started. Mine does not shut off when I switch to manual.

My assumption is, and I could be wrong, that the ignitor starts heating up as soon as the stove is told to start and the switch is in auto. So, every time you flip the switch into auto, it goes on until the switch is flipped back to manual. Once the stove senses that it is lit, the igniter shuts down regardless of where the switch is at..
Yes. Even on auto after pellets are lit, the ignitor red light eventually goes off... stays off until pellets need to be lit again after ramping down to where new pellets are fed by auger. I have seen new pellets ignite due to mixing with the embers that are at thec auger throat and the ignitor still comes on due to being fed new load of pellets. Of course all this while switch is up for ignitor.