I'm back after 10 years. You guys are the salt of the earth. I'm looking for Lopi Freedom or similar inserts, any insights appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

murinsky

Jan 11, 2011
SW CT
Greetings kind folks. 10 years ago this board helped me self install an Avalon Ranier which I have gotten great use out of. The stove does not go cold between Halloween and April 1. The baby in my profile photo is now in 5th grade.....dog is the same.

I have another project now with a different hearth. It is a huge stacked stone masonry fireplace built in the 1920's, but the actual firebox is pretty small.

I can fit a Lopi Freedom, because it is tapered at the back, so I am currently targeting that stove. The existing masonry firebox tapers from 31" at the front to 24" at the back so this unit should fit well. I was looking at an Avalon Olympic but it is too big at the back.

Because of the nice stone work, I'd rather not install any oversized surround. That's how I did the Ranier - I cut a custom metal mesh screen to fit between the insert and bricks and it looks great.

I am looking for help to think of any other stoves of similar size and shape and with a clean appearance "behind the surround" (this actually rules out quite a few inserts)?

Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks all

Reactions: kennyp2339
Wrlcome back, I still refer your mesh screen occasionally, that was beautiful from the moment you put it in.

Hi. Welcome back. Would you like to buy my used Englander NCI 13 insert? I think it should fit.

Welcome back, yes I liked your solution for Rainier. It should go into the gallery. The Freedom is a good insert, but it would have to be found used. The only traditional Lopi insert that has shown up so far in 2020 is the Answer. The Avalon line has been discontinued. Most of the 2020 inserts are flush now. Osburn has a few more traditional models.
What is the depth of the fireplace and lintel height?

Reactions: murinsky
Welcome back, yes I liked your solution for Rainier. It should go into the gallery. The Freedom is a good insert, but it would have to be found used. The only traditional Lopi insert that has shown up so far in 2020 is the Answer. The Avalon line has been discontinued. Most of the 2020 inserts are flush now. Osburn has a few more traditional models.
What is the depth of the fireplace and lintel height?
Hi Begreen, glad to see you still here helping! Yes I am looking for a used Lopi Freedom, I think they quit making them in 2012 or so.

Lintel height is 31.5" Depth is 20.5" at the top and 23.5" at the bottom.

Should have put some photos on my OP, here they are

Attachments

• IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2337 (1).JPG
    IMG_2337 (1).JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 174
Welcome back. I went down the same road last year. I searched and found a used Lopi freedom, I looked for that insert because of the large size, quality reputation and the flexibility of recess or surface placement. I am not a fan of the big surrounds so I placed the front of mine even with the brick and made a custom recessed surround.thumbnail.jpgthumbnail (1).jpg

This is a small Alpine Kuma insert we just put in last week. Our fireplace was 22" across the back so we were very limited on what stoves would fit. No surround will be added.
IMG_2251.JPG

Reactions: moresnow
That's one smart dog if it's in 5th grade . . .

This is a small Alpine Kuma insert we just put in last week. Our fireplace was 22" across the back so we were very limited on what stoves would fit. No surround will be added.
View attachment 265788
Those look nice, I think I might be able to squeeze in the bigger one. How is the fan? As noisy as all the other ones?

Surprisingly quiet, on low I can barely hear it. The blower on my Summit and Buck stove are/were considerably loader. Our burn times are between 9-10 hours for our first 4 fires so far. I'm pretty happy with that with the small fire box it has.

Surprisingly quiet, on low I can barely hear it. The blower on my Summit and Buck stove are/were considerably loader. Our burn times are between 9-10 hours for our first 4 fires so far. I'm pretty happy with that with the small fire box it has.
Not trying to hijack the thread but, I see you have a Buck 74 and a Summit. How would you compare those two to each other. My parents are building a new house next spring, they are looking at a 74 with zero clearance cabinet and a PE FP30 fire place same fire box as the Summit.

Not trying to hijack the thread but, I see you have a Buck 74 and a Summit. How would you compare those two to each other. My parents are building a new house next spring, they are looking at a 74 with zero clearance cabinet and a PE FP30 fire place same fire box as the Summit.
The Buck fire box is not as deep and I could never get the secondaries on the Buck to perform like the PE. They both do put out a ton of heat though.

The Buck fire box is not as deep and I could never get the secondaries on the Buck to perform like the PE. They both do put out a ton of heat though.
Thank you for the information, I have been talking up the PE to them I like the bigger fire box and Mom likes the look of the PE FP30 over the Buck 74ZC. So they will probably go with the PE.

Thank you for the information, I have been talking up the PE to them I like the bigger fire box and Mom likes the look of the PE FP30 over the Buck 74ZC. So they will probably go with the PE.
Your welcome. That's the way I would go also.