I'M BURNING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Cold windy day. Sapose to get down under 30 tonight. Got the Fireview cranking at 550.

Attachments

• 100_1098.JPG
    100_1098.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,163
Todd said:
Cold windy day. Sapose to get down under 30 tonight. Got the Fireview cranking at 550.

Nice! I'm planning to fire up my Fireview for the first time as well - about one hour to liftoff when I get home! High in the 60s, and low in the 40s - it's BURN TIME! Going to throw in some poplar that I've got to work through in the shoulder season from a tree that died near the house.

My wife is completely exasperated by my talking about this all week once I saw the extended forecast...

-Colin

By the time that blast coming over you gets here Todd it is supposed to go to the low 40's so I am gonna put on a sweater and let that wood pile sit a spell. I am in no hurry to see that always surprising rate of decline in the stacks when the stoves finally light off.

BTW: Good looking stove.

No fair!

Its not cool enough here (although it might be tomorrow) and my 30NC is sitting on the back dock of the burn lab anyway, alongside my hearth pad and chimney.

Corie said:
No fair!

Its not cool enough here (although it might be tomorrow) and my 30NC is sitting on the back dock of the burn lab anyway, alongside my hearth pad and chimney.

Oh great. Another one to remind me that I am the only one in history to pay full list price for a 30. Plus freight. >:-(

Get that pup installed and burning.

Sunday Night: Patchy fog after 3am. Patchy frost after 3am. Otherwise, clear, with a low around 35. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm. [/]

San Diego comes to New England for an 8:15 kickoff

Bowl or two of casoulet in my belly after a day of cutting/splitting and some rolling around on the grass with the kids. Glass or three of McClellands on ice and the seasons first fire.

Tuna season getting into gear and deer season right around the corner

I LOVE FALL!

Low 30's tonight with a frost warning. I may just have to fire up tonight to clear any critters out of the liner before I clean it Sunday or Monday. :cheese:

Edit: Of course it's supposed to be 85 on Tuesday :down:

Burning here tonight also. Not as cold as you Wisconsin guys, but it's on it's way accross the pond. Low in the mid 40's tonight so burning a few odd pieces like end cuts and short rounds. The sliding glass door is open and a cool breeze is mixing with the warm air from the insert, occasional smell of burning wood working it's way into the screen door. I love it. Next best thing to sitting in front of a campfire with a nice cold beer on a cool fall night. KD

Ok, it's official....1st fire of the season 9-14-07 8:55pm

I figured why not, if nothing else I'll chase out any "guests" before cleaning the liner. Of course I'll probably have the windows open in an hour or so....

Not me, I like to listen to the women of the house whine & complain. "Its so cold" At a low of 75 degrees in here. BAHHHHHH
The OL used the damn electric blanket almost through the summer.

Had my first fire in the new stove this past Tuesday. Two days of about 60 and rainy, just needed to take the chill off. Just a small fire for the eve. can't wait to really start using this, will be burning gently this weekend! :)

Attachments

• 000_0436-1.JPG
    000_0436-1.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 819
BrotherBart said:
Corie said:
No fair!

Oh great. Another one to remind me that I am the only one in history to pay full list price for a 30. Plus freight. >:-(

Get that pup installed and burning.

Sorry BB. I won't remind you though, promise!

The best part is, its going in a 1000 sq. ft. house. Nothing like being a little "over-stoved".

Corie said:
The best part is, its going in a 1000 sq. ft. house. Nothing like being a little "over-stoved".

Outstanding. I look forward to our primo stove engineer advising on optimum burning techniques for the the 30. You have the lab to crank'er flat out (when it isn't full of pellet stoves) and the house to practice "moderate" burns.

Words of wisdom along the way always appreciated.

jpl1nh said:
Had my first fire in the new stove this past Tuesday. Two days of about 60 and rainy, just needed to take the chill off. Just a small fire for the eve. can't wait to really start using this, will be burning gently this weekend! :)

Great looking stove and installation. With that stove and location staying warm in that house isn't going to be a problem at all.

Thank You BB! You're right, plenty of stove and excellent location to heat the house. 30' x 40' footprint, open concept saltbox, stove and masonary chimney right in the center. Reasonably well insulated though lots and lots of window to look out at the...woods!, filled with oak, black, yellow and white birch, hemlock, red maple, ash, hickory, black locust. If ever there was as house meant for wood heat, this is it.

Nice looking Keystone. Sounds like you got it made. I wish my stove was centrally located. Oh well, maybe my next house.

It felt good last night to burn again. I was getting wood stove withdrawal syndrome. Now it's suppose to warm back up into 70's next week. Probably won't burn again til Oct the way the long range forecast looks.

Oops, I was a day early - tonight is the one with a low of 43 - last night was ~55!

Didn't let that stop me though - I still burned and concluded my poplar is still soaking wet and will be put on hold until next season, which means now I have to move it out of the way to make room for my better seasoned stuff which I was hoping to avoid doing.

Tonight I break out some long dead and seasoned ash!

-Colin

Chimney will be cleaned on Wed.. I still have to remove March ashes :red:

Well I couldn't stand it so when it got a little chilly tonight I had to fire off the little F100 in the office to get the first one out of my system.

Attachments

• f100.JPG
    f100.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 565
lit small trial fire yesterday morning, my wood is good and seasoned! gonna hold off as long as possible now to start seriously burning

It looks like I do it again tonight. We are going down to 35! I wouldn't mind wait a month or two myself.

Why can't all wood be ash? Last night was just so much better than the soggy poplar I tried the first night... seasoned about 6 months, although tree was already dead.

I'm guessing we'll have a bounty when that ash borer gets over here which will be great for a while, but it will be sad if those trees don't recover.

-Colin

BrotherBart said:
It looks like I do it again tonight. We are going down to 35! I wouldn't mind wait a month or two myself.

On a side note Bart. What part of Northern Virginia do you live in? The low here tonight is only 45. We talked in another post a while ago about my wood consumption. I'm begining to think that maybe it doesn't get as cold where I am.

karl said:
BrotherBart said:

On a side note Bart. What part of Northern Virginia do you live in? The low here tonight is only 45. We talked in another post a while ago about my wood consumption. I'm beginning to think that maybe it doesn't get as cold where I am.

Tonight is a fluke out here. It usually stays in the 40's at night here in September and will be getting warmer starting tomorrow. Back to the fifties at night by mid-week. Fairfax and D.C. will be in the high forties or low fifties tonight. Tonight some of the neighbors will light mood fires when they smell my stove running. We are burning to stay warm. And to make sure the stoves are ready for the season. My wife says I am like a kid with the stoves and she is right.

As to your wood consumption it will depend on if you heat full-time with wood. The weather in winter does not make much difference for us because we don't have a secondary heat source. So between the office and upstairs we will burn five cords no matter what or if one stove is burning or both. Three or four weeks from now the stoves will be running full time until April. We don't do sweaters and stuff. We just light'em up and head for Spring since there isn't a thermostat to set.

I live south of Manassas so technically it is Northern Virginia but just on the bleeding edge. No Starbucks in any direction for a long way.

Well all of this burning talk and the 30 was sitting there looking neglected so I had to fire it up just for the heck of it.

Attachments

• 30 first fire.jpg
    30 first fire.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 448
Status
Not open for further replies.