Im Confused

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbones

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate NY
Last year I went from an OLD OLD outdoor Taylor Wood Boiler ( which is for sale $500 doesnt leak) to a 80k-165k btu corn boiler ( no comment ). I just sold the corn boiler so now I have my heating money and can buy an indoor wood boiler.

My Questions are as follows.

How, without a nuclear physicist degree can I determine how many BTU's my house will require?

Will a 68k atmos http://cgi.ebay.com/Atmos-indoor-wo...545765345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_1154 be enough heat and is it a fair price

Also I picked up what I believe to be a 450- 500 gallon fuel tank ( for free ). The only problem is going to be fitting it into my basement LOL. I plan on using that as my heat storage.

How did the corn boiler do?

If it provided you with adequate heat and the rating is correct, that would be a good guide.

It was a variable rate you could have it as low as 80k and turn it all the way up to 150k. But I had problems with it so I don't know what I really used it at.

Basic rule of thumb for an averagely insulated house where I am in 30 btu per sq ft. So a 2,000sq ft house would be 60,000btus.

Very rough and ready, I have not been to Upstate NY, you are probably not that different.

Do a heat loss analysis on your house.
There are calculators at www.builditsolar.com
or Google heat loss analysis.

It does not take long and is enlightening.

Be sure to use this as a rough guide only. You should add on to that basic number for
pickup in coldest weather.

bulldogbones said:
Last year I went from an OLD OLD outdoor Taylor Wood Boiler ( which is for sale $500 doesnt leak) to a 80k-165k btu corn boiler ( no comment ). I just sold the corn boiler so now I have my heating money and can buy an indoor wood boiler.

My Questions are as follows.

How, without a nuclear physicist degree can I determine how many BTU's my house will require?

Will a 68k atmos http://cgi.ebay.com/Atmos-indoor-wo...545765345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_1154 be enough heat and is it a fair price

Also I picked up what I believe to be a 450- 500 gallon fuel tank ( for free ). The only problem is going to be fitting it into my basement LOL. I plan on using that as my heat storage.
I gotta let the heavy hitters answer the sizing question, as for the price I believe this is fair. My 32GS was about $3500 & was a hassle to import from Poland (they dont ship anymore). This is a good dealer to deal with from everything I've heard. You will like the boiler, just be sure to put in a manual damper if you have a high draw chimney. Randy

Do a heat loss analysis on your house.
There are calculators at http://www.builditsolar.com

I used this as well and it proved to be pretty accurate for me. Now that I have a tank and temp sensors I have a very good gauge of how much heat I use. This link was a pretty easy way to "get in the ballpark" and plan for the size unit and tank you would need.

Status
Not open for further replies.