I'm considering buying a used pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dankgus

Nov 9, 2017
Northern California
I am considering buying a used pellet stove (money reasons). My house has all the hardware in place from a pellet stove the previous owners took with them or sold, so I can't see how it would be difficult for me to install.

Problem is, the pellet stoves I see listed for sale on craigslist all seem to have a little something wrong.

There is one on there right now, a Lennox Montage, which is a well reviewed unit. Purchased new in 2016, removed from a rental because it was faster to replace than get serviced. Allegedly the "on off switch is broken". Tempting if I can pick up for a good price.

I'm pretty good with tools, both mechanical and electrical, and my troublshooting skills are decent. I would think with help from guys on a forum like this I could troubleshoot and replace whats necessary.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!
--Dan

Pellet stoves arent rocket science. If you have basic electrical knowledge, they're fairly easy to troubleshoot. Be prepared though, pellet stoves, new or used, are not plug and play.
I would stay with name brands, and avoid the the cheaper ones sold in big box stores. Rarely is the price advantage of buying them used, worthwhile. Keep looking. Thete are deals out thete.

Last edited:
Just an observation - the height for the exhausts are different for different brands and sometimes different models of the same brand. So, you may end up with a slightly more complicated install than what you are envisioning. Then again, it could be a piece of cake depending on the configuration.

Just an observation - the height for the exhausts are different for different brands and sometimes different models of the same brand. So, you may end up with a slightly more complicated install than what you are envisioning. Then again, it could be a piece of cake depending on the configuration.
If you're looking at the manuals for exhaust configuration, they are merely guidelines. They give you EVL specs. Aside from that configuration usually isnt critical. Taller stacks cause more draw, shortet stacks less...By adjusting the draft fan settings, those variences are overcome.