Im new here. Harman P68 HOWLING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JupiterBandit

Jan 23, 2021
Boston
There's a howling noise when running. Even with zero pellets, cleaned, and in test mode. It sounds like a massive air leak. I took a paper towel and stuffed the auger tube and the noise went away. Makes noise even when auger is not running. Its looking like some sort of air leak. Anyone run into this or can help me out?

Are you sure it's not the distribution fan blowing air into the room? That fan is pretty loud when turned all the way up (as it is in test mode). In test mode the distribution fan will turn on and off, running for 10-15 seconds (?) at time, but the exhaust fan will keep going.

The exhaust fan is always running when the stove is on, which is not a howling noise, but a noise none-the-less.

Can you take a video with your phone and upload it? How long have you had the stove?

Are you sure it's not the distribution fan blowing air into the room? That fan is pretty loud when turned all the way up (as it is in test mode). In test mode the distribution fan will turn on and off, running for 10-15 seconds (?) at time, but the exhaust fan will keep going.

The exhaust fan is always running when the stove is on, which is not a howling noise, but a noise none-the-less.

It only howls like an air leak when the combustion fan is running. It gets louder if I cover the air intake. It goes completely away if I plug the auger tube. There fore it won't be a motor making noise. Its got to be some sort of air leak that its sucking from the other side of the auger tube.

Last edited:
Based on that video, the sound is in the area of the fines trap (not sure what it's really called). Have you opened that up and cleaned it out? The first time I did that I struggled to get the lid back on correctly. If that's not tight, air could suck in through the auger like that.

Based on that video, the sound is in the area of the fines trap (not sure what it's really called). Have you opened that up and cleaned it out? The first time I did that I struggled to get the lid back on correctly. If that's not tight, air could suck in through the auger like that.
Feeder clean out cover.

Its not the fine trap. Cleaned it out 100% and tightened the plate on well.

Take an allen wrench or drill bit and clean every hole out in the burnpot and see if it makes a difference. Make sure ALL of the crud is out of the holes and back to original size.

Long story but I had an issue a few months ago with a brand new P68 burn pot and a similar "noise" to yours.

im not a harman guy and i usually just read and learn so here is my dumb question.. could the flapper in the intake do this?

Does it do it when Distrutition Fan is not running? I had Screws impacting that housing for the fan. Similar Noise.

It does it when the distribution fan is running and when its not running. Does it when its filled with pellets or empty. It stops when I open the auger clean out or the hopper, or the front doors. It gets louder covering the intake. It goes away when I plug up the auger tube.

Take an allen wrench or drill bit and clean every hole out in the burnpot and see if it makes a difference. Make sure ALL of the crud is out of the holes and back to original size.

Long story but I had an issue a few months ago with a brand new P68 burn pot and a similar "noise" to yours.

I shall try that.

And after you do that, open the bottom of the burn pot from the lower door and suck everything out.

Reactions: Ssyko
Pull your ash pan out, pop the cover off of the combustion fan and put it in test mode to see if it’s the same, I have a feeling the exhaust port might have something in it

There's a howling noise when running. Even with zero pellets, cleaned, and in test mode. It sounds like a massive air leak. I took a paper towel and stuffed the auger tube and the noise went away. Makes noise even when auger is not running. Its looking like some sort of air leak. Anyone run into this or can help me out?

Hi JB,

Here are a few questions to help with remote analysis.

Is the stove new to you of have you been running it for a good long time?

Did the noise start after your cleaning or before?

Was there a slow progression in the noise development or did it start all at once?

Thanks

Hugh

Reactions: Harmanizer
One thing for sure, you need to remove the hard carbon in the burn pot. I suspect the holes in the plate are also full of hard carbon and restricting the combustion air flow.

Check if the 1/2 '' inch rubber hose is cracked or disconnected. It is the hose which is connected next to the air inlet