I'm venting (unfortunately not flue gas)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
I have had a really rough time working with a chimney company and I'm not sure where to go from here. Here's the whole story:

I had a mild chimney fire in the thimble area on my clay lined block chimney, I found a chimney guy who seemed to be professional and easy to work with. In my area most chimney companies have really bad reviewes and seem to be pretty shady and uneducated on how a chimney is suposed to be built, this guy seemed to be different. After further examination (and me asking many questions on this site) we learned the chimney was not installed anywhere in the same universe as building code and was dangerous. So I'm very happy I didn't decide to try to install a liner and we decided to go with class A

I pay him 50% and he proceeds to take down the old piece of junk chimney and just when things were seeming to going well we uncover some badly done framing and rot. He starts giving me delays and says "I can get back on it next Monday" a bunch of times. Eventually I confront him and he is no longer comfortable fixing the siding where the void was because it's not in his skill set. Ok fair enough.... I call in a carpenter I have worked with in the past and he gets the house completely to the point as if there was never a chimney in a week or two. Now the job is costing DOUBLE what I expected. Not in his control so what ever..... All good right?!

Now he has dragged his feet for another month on coming back to finish the job. He originally agreed to take down the old, fix the side of the house and put up a new class A.

I would move on, but he has 50% and hasn't done 50%. Also for what he quoted I can't go out an buy my own pipe and install my self because he can buy at vendor cost. From what I can see, if I did this on my own it would add $1500 or so to the job. I assume he could quote that price because he wasn't marking the parts up very much or at all.

At this point what should I do? I could down grade to a lower grade class A pipe and finish my self for around the same money originally budgeted, or should I keep trying with this guy? How can I get his attention? I would be happy with settling with him, and hopfully having him just sell me the parts and we part ways. I proposed this and he agreed, and now wont answer my calls.

very frustrating stuff, September is not far away and we need a working wood stove to keep the house warm.

At this point your two options seem to be taking a loss or taking him to small claims court. Was he licensed?

Do you honestly want him working on your house now? I that's the first answer you need in order to direct your future actions.

Reactions: Rob_Red
IMHO, the 50% has been spent but not on your project. Odds are materials are not bought or paid for. He is just hoping you will go away. If you have contract, its time to file a claim in small claims court. Odds are he took to work when he was unemployed getting the bonus federal money. In theory he is probably now working so getting work done on your chimney is low/no priority. If you do not have a contract you are SOL unless you can guilt them into it.

This explains the psychology of the situation https://www.getrichslowly.org/sunk-cost-good-money-after-bad/

Reactions: Rob_Red and clancey
I have had a really rough time working with a chimney company and I'm not sure where to go from here. Here's the whole story:

I had a mild chimney fire in the thimble area on my clay lined block chimney, I found a chimney guy who seemed to be professional and easy to work with. In my area most chimney companies have really bad reviewes and seem to be pretty shady and uneducated on how a chimney is suposed to be built, this guy seemed to be different. After further examination (and me asking many questions on this site) we learned the chimney was not installed anywhere in the same universe as building code and was dangerous. So I'm very happy I didn't decide to try to install a liner and we decided to go with class A

I pay him 50% and he proceeds to take down the old piece of junk chimney and just when things were seeming to going well we uncover some badly done framing and rot. He starts giving me delays and says "I can get back on it next Monday" a bunch of times. Eventually I confront him and he is no longer comfortable fixing the siding where the void was because it's not in his skill set. Ok fair enough.... I call in a carpenter I have worked with in the past and he gets the house completely to the point as if there was never a chimney in a week or two. Now the job is costing DOUBLE what I expected. Not in his control so what ever..... All good right?!

Now he has dragged his feet for another month on coming back to finish the job. He originally agreed to take down the old, fix the side of the house and put up a new class A.

I would move on, but he has 50% and hasn't done 50%. Also for what he quoted I can't go out an buy my own pipe and install my self because he can buy at vendor cost. From what I can see, if I did this on my own it would add $1500 or so to the job. I assume he could quote that price because he wasn't marking the parts up very much or at all.

At this point what should I do? I could down grade to a lower grade class A pipe and finish my self for around the same money originally budgeted, or should I keep trying with this guy? How can I get his attention? I would be happy with settling with him, and hopfully having him just sell me the parts and we part ways. I proposed this and he agreed, and now wont answer my calls.

very frustrating stuff, September is not far away and we need a working wood stove to keep the house warm.
If your material cost is 1500 more than his quote he didn't price the job high enough. It is possible he realized he was going to loose money on it and ran away because of that. Which wouldn't be horrible if he didn't have 50% down

Could you feel good with the cost you paid to have the chimney taken down? Since we don't know anything about the chimney or the cost, you may be making out great.

Could you feel good with the cost you paid to have the chimney taken down? Since we don't know anything about the chimney or the cost, you may be making out great.

Ok some good news. I made contact with the owner and we have reached a fair agreement that works for both sides. There are still somethings that need to be done but I think it will work out.

Reactions: begreen