Important note to members re: Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi everyone.

I see a lot of posts where people talk of stove temperatures without qualifying them. If anyone is quoting stove temperatures, can they kindly also note from where the temperature was measured.

For instance, 350F doesn't tell us much until we are told whether that's flue temps (measured using a magnetic stove-pipe thermometer), internal flue gas temps (probe) or internal stove temps.

It would be really handy if people could remember to do this, as it's often not at all clear.

Thanks,

John

Steel Stove, Fireplace insert, Thermometer sitting on stove top= Ideal burning temp for me is between 400 and 700 F. I like to keep her round 600.

Stove construction matters, too. For instance, your Owl has an manifold that covers most of the top plate, to preheat the primary air. This top plate is going to show a lower temperature than one that is completely exposed to the flame.

along the same lines here, what is the R value of the ceramic glass used in the doors?

what is the R value of 1/4" carbon steel plate?

I get VERY similar temps on my door glass and my stove top, when the coals are an equal distance from them ( not touching either one)

Also, Harbour Freight has this on sale , Ive got one, and I LOVE IT.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91778

precaud said:
Stove construction matters, too. For instance, your Owl has an manifold that covers most of the top plate, to preheat the primary air. This top plate is going to show a lower temperature than one that is completely exposed to the flame.

yeah, that manifold is a nuisance in some respects, as it limits the amount of vertical space in the stove thus preventing me putting as much wood in it as I'd like (for longer burns)...

Yup. That's one area of design where the steel plate stoves have an advantage. They can tuck the air channels into the corners and leave the top and side plates open, creating more firebox space AND higher heat transfer efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.