Improving draft on 15 ft chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm in a need to change my liner. My current install has a 15 ft liner run which barely fits the requirements. I'm thinking of adding another say 2 or 1 ft with a new liner. Is it worth the effort? How much gain in a draft we are looking at? Thank you

If it's a straight shot, then perhaps consider insulated DuraLiner. This is a rigid and pre-insulated liner system. Make the last length 48" with 24" above the chimney top.

It's a masonry chimney and flexible liner, so options are limited, I guess.

It's a masonry chimney and flexible liner, so options are limited, I guess.
Duraliner is for chimney lining, but not if there are offsets.

Is this even worth the effort? How much will I improve my draft with a 2 ft extension on a 15ft shot with a slight bend in the middle?

Is this even worth the effort? How much will I improve my draft with a 2 ft extension on a 15ft shot with a slight bend in the middle?
It depends. The Flush hyrbrid is specced for a 15' flue. Most likely the difference would be in a more robust secondary burn and perhaps better top-end output. You could test this on a cold day by adding 2' of cheap warm air duct or stovepipe to the top temporarilly.
There is offset ib the middle
Sounds like an insulated flex is the right solution.

Contact Rockford and ask if they have a medium weight liner for sale even if not listed. They are a reputable company with good service and also sell chimney liner extensions.

Last edited:
Ask Rockford about their premium smooth wall. I think this is Forever Flex and .010 wall thickness.

Can I use something like this?

1706581609722.png

That's an option.