In market for new utility tractor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Sold the skidsteer, now looking for a tractor. The are the big names that have been around for long time. Then there are some newer names. Kioti, Mahindra, LS, Branson, etc. Understand these newer names may have been around for a while, i just don't know much about them. Looking for info from people that may own one or have in the past. Looking for tractor around 30hp. Leaning towards JD or Kubota since there is a long standing dealer about 5 min from me. Let me have your opinions, recommendation, horror stories!

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anybody that regrets buying a Kubota...

Own a 2018 Kioti CK4010HST, have about 250 hrs on it, no issues what so ever, just remember in the tractor world ballast is your friend, I had my tires filled last year, has improved my fel work greatly, no regrets so far. But like everything else, brands are brands, its more about who's the closest *good reputable dealer, mine happens to be a kioti dealer 15min away, so it was obvious where I was going.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anybody that regrets buying a Kubota...
Dont think i would regret getting a JD or Kubota. Solid machines.
Own a 2018 Kioti CK4010HST, have about 250 hrs on it, no issues what so ever, just remember in the tractor world ballast is your friend, I had my tires filled last year, has improved my fel work greatly, no regrets so far. But like everything else, brands are brands, its more about who's the closest *good reputable dealer, mine happens to be a kioti dealer 15min away, so it was obvious where I was going.
Nearest Kioti dealer is an hour away...did you check other brands/dealers that were further away?

Dont think i would regret getting a JD or Kubota. Solid machines.
Probably not...but I think Deere has cheapened up their non ag tractors a bit...and I hear a lot more Kubota owners "gushing" over their tractors than Deere owners...wouldn't think much about that, except for I hear it so often...but yeah, I doubt there is really a "bad" decision to be made there...

Probably not...but I think Deere has cheapened up their non ag tractors a bit...and I hear a lot more Kubota owners "gushing" over their tractors than Deere owners...wouldn't think much about that, except for I hear it so often...but yeah, I doubt there is really a "bad" decision to be made there...
I know their "economy " lawn mowers are nothing special, first i heard of the larger utility tractors getting cheapened.

I know their "economy " lawn mowers are nothing special, first i heard of the larger utility tractors getting cheapened.
Yeah the lawnmowers have been cheapened up a lot!
The stuff you see at the box stores is pretty much a MTD with green paint. The smaller loader tractors aren't that bad, not even close...but it sure sounds like they may be a step behind Kubota these days...just my impression from tractor threads on these forums...I think I remember reading that Deere contracts out for the manufacture of a lot more parts than Kubota, I dunno, I'd better just step back here and let some actual owners weigh in...

Go to every dealer and see what their parts department is like. Once the warranty is up, it's on you, and you definitely want to make sure parts are easy to get.

I have a Kubota B3300SU 33HP tractor that has been good. I don't have many hours on it since it was purchased for road maintenance and plowing and then I got a skidsteer. The hydraulic hoses on the Deere that I looked at were hanging down pretty far and I could imagine snagging those on a branch. I also didn't like all of the plastic on a Deere. My understanding is Kioti is another Chinese tractor just like the other minor brands you can find when you search used but I have no experience with them.

I have a Kubota B3300SU 33HP tractor that has been good. I don't have many hours on it since it was purchased for road maintenance and plowing and then I got a skidsteer. The hydraulic hoses on the Deere that I looked at were hanging down pretty far and I could imagine snagging those on a branch. I also didn't like all of the plastic on a Deere. My understanding is Kioti is another Chinese tractor just like the other minor brands you can find when you search used but I have no experience with them.
Korean, not Chinese and final assembly is in Cary NC. I'm pretty sure Bobcat compact tractors are re-branded Kioti tractors, and I don't think Bobcat would put their name on trash.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Korean, not Chinese and final assembly is in Cary NC. I'm pretty sure Bobcat compact tractors are re-branded Kioti tractors, and I don't think Bobcat would put their name on trash.
One of our local Bobcat dealers actually sells LS tractors also.

Buying an 'off' brand gets you a lot more features for the same or less price. Another thing to remember is the fact that at one point Kubota was a little-known import tractor as well.
On the other hand the dealer network, parts availability, and resale value of JD, etc makes them hard to beat. Resale only helps if you plan to resale of course.

I'd drive as many tractors as I can and go with the one that suits your needs the best.

Reactions: Gearhead660
A buddy of mine was always complaining of taking his JD to the dealer for some kind of electrical problem.
I have a Branson 3540 loader and hoe. Since 2004, I have had to replace the fuel sender and tie rod assemblies under warranty. The plastic PS resevior deteriorated and upgraded to metal. I've had no buyers remorse with my tractor. Dealers don't seem to be bound by any contracts and are hard to find here.
I shopped JD, Kioti, Kubota, NH, and Mahindra.
There are 4x4 cabbed tractors with loaders, heat, air conditioning, and trailer for about 24k on Craigslist. I don't know much about them.

I like the Kubota 47L but do not think it is worth 43k+. I'd rather have two tractors minus the hoe for about the same money.
Tractor by net dot com is a good place to start and listen to what owners say.

Screenshot_2020-06-27-20-42-06~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gearhead660
All of them look very similar. Would like to know which ones are rebranded.

Yeah the lawnmowers have been cheapened up a lot!
The stuff you see at the box stores is pretty much a MTD with green paint. The smaller loader tractors aren't that bad, not even close...but it sure sounds like they may be a step behind Kubota these days...just my impression from tractor threads on these forums...I think I remember reading that Deere contracts out for the manufacture of a lot more parts than Kubota, I dunno, I'd better just step back here and let some actual owners weigh in...

Actually, an MTD with green plastic. Not much painted metal on those.

I'm 100% Kubota and have been since 2002 but I run big tractors so what I run M9000's and what you want are entirely different.

If I were you, I'd base my decision on the location of the nearest dealer and how good they are (reputation) because you will not only buy it there, you'll buy the consumable parts there as well, ie: oil filters, fluids and other items.

I have a fantastic dealer, the primary reason I've stayed with Kubota.

@Gearhead660, when I got my first tractor I didn't even really know what I was doing, the closest dealers (Kubota and JD) were about an hour away from me, both also didn't have the best reputations.
I orginally went to buy a weed whacker and saw a little orange tractor sitting in the front lot, it was a ck2510hst, I ask a few questions about it, it came with the fel and backhoe, low financing rate for 3 years or something like that, since at the time I didn't have a truck payment or anything I decided to pull the trigger, I got the smaller tractor and did a few jobs around the house, I learned quickly that the 25hp was very limited in what I actually wanted to do (digging stuff, moving rocks, building retaining walls, fire wood) but I figured I was just going to have to deal with my mistake and eventually sell the machine at a loss.
During the winter I was at the same dealer buying shear bolts for the snow blower, the owner of the place who sold the machine was there and ask how I was liking it, I was blunt and truthful, basically said I made the mistake and bought to small of a machine for what I needed, the owner asked me to wait 10 min at the store because he was making a phone call, he asked how many hours I had on the machine ( I think it was under 50) he came back out of his office with a piece of paper, it had the trade in price on it that was almost basically what I paid for minus taxes, he said to go home take pics of the machine and send them to him, I did and when he saw a slightly used tractor he ask when he could pick it up, with in a week I was sitting on something in my garage that was almost double the hp, much bigger fel & back hoe, same payment as the other machine just extended by 6 months. It happened very quickly but that dealer made things right. After I got the bigger machine a co-worker wanted to get one, I recommended the dealer, he went there and was also treated very well, my co-worker basically bought the same machine as me, just with a cab and linked peddle, he also had a few issues with bad computer software on the re-gen system, same dealer went out of his way to send his own guy to repair the computer on site, then the guy had an issue because it was winter so the dealer paid out of pocket to flatbed the machine to his shop to fix it correctly and timely.
I also this past spring blew a hydro hose on the hoe right at the fitting when I was digging a huge stump (totally my fault since I wasnt careful) I called the same dealer to get the part, the dealer was very up front with me, sent me to the auto parts place up the road to get the hose, basically the dealer said, I can get you the hose at $100, or you can go to the auto parts store and pay $50 for the same thing. Just a very honest place. IMO the dealer is what makes the machine, whether you own a backhoe, tractor, skid steer its only a matter of time before something will break, you don't want a flakey dealer when you need something, you want a place that's honest, assertive and wont give you the run around on things.

100% correct, the dealer makes all the difference, no matter what brand it is.

One thing to keep in mind however is, new tractors over 25 horsepower (diesel) will all be Tier 4 compliant which means they are loaded with emissions hardware and software and they can be troublesome.

Why I keep my pre T2 units. No emissions hardware or software, no common rail injection either. Everything is mechanical, from the pump on out.

Not the manufacturers choice, it's government mandate. Some college taught engineer came up with the requirements and then the builders had to comply. Across every brand no matter what brand it is....and...

Soon, ALL diesel tractors will be T4 final. Right now today, any unit under 25 horse pto is exempt but not for long.

As long as you have good dealer support any of the more major brands will serve you well. I honestly think JD is simply to over priced for me to ever consider one. I would be looking at New Holland Kubota Kyoti or Mahindra. Mainly because those are the ones with good dealers nearby.

I was told by the local dealer mechanic last year that Yanmar, Kubota, and Shibaura make all 25 HP and down diesel engines, no matter what they are branded as.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I was told by the local dealer mechanic last year that Yanmar, Kubota, and Shibaura make all 25 HP and down diesel engines, no matter what they are branded as.
To my knowledge JD has been using Yanmar engines on smaller machines for a while now.

I've been told similar things. The engines all have to meet the same specs, and are all pretty dependable, and easy to get parts for. The host of electronics on a modern utility tractor may be another story. I have no idea how interchangeable the non-drivetrain parts are.
A kioti or whatever is probably almost (or better) quality as JD, but something will break sometime. When it does happen will the dealer be helpful, parts available, etc? If the answer is yes, then buy the Kioti, TYM, or whatever.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
To my knowledge JD has been using Yanmar engines on smaller machines for a while now.
Many years actually. When I owned 4 over the road trucks and trailers, if we got up to Wisconsin, we always loaded JD at Horicon, Wisconsin and all the diesels back then were Yanmar. Good motor.

I'm on my second Kioti (upgraded to a DK4210 last year). I had always used Kubotas previously but have been very impressed by the Kiotis. I hadn't even heard about the brand until a friend who used to be in the forestry business told me about them. He stated that he had driven just about every manufacturer's equipment over the years but if he ever bought one for personal use, it would be a Kioti. After looking at the Kioti and Kubota tractors locally back in 2013, I could get way more bang for the buck with the Kioti. Never had any issues but wanted to upgrade to more horsepower and a cab last year (but stayed with Kioti).

One thing that is great about the new Tier 4 Kioti diesel is that when it goes into regen mode, you can still operate the tractor (albeit at half capacity). Most manufacturers require parking the vehicle until the regen is complete.

I think this will boil down to Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford with owners from all camps claiming theirs is the best. All dealers for me are over an hour away so distance was a moot point. I just went with what I thought was the most tractor for the money and haven't been disappointed.

Regarding Kioti, while they may be relatively new in the U.S. (1993), they have been making tractors for international sales since 1968. Their parent company Daedong (South Korea) has been around since 1947.

I'm on my second Kioti (upgraded to a DK4210 last year). I had always used Kubotas previously but have been very impressed by the Kiotis. I hadn't even heard about the brand until a friend who used to be in the forestry business told me about them. He stated that he had driven just about every manufacturer's equipment over the years but if he ever bought one for personal use, it would be a Kioti. After looking at the Kioti and Kubota tractors locally back in 2013, I could get way more bang for the buck with the Kioti. Never had any issues but wanted to upgrade to more horsepower and a cab last year (but stayed with Kioti).

Not sure where you got that but it's not factual. The will all do a parked regen and the

I think this will boil down to Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford with owners from all camps claiming theirs is the best. All dealers for me are over an hour away so distance was a moot point. I just went with what I thought was the most tractor for the money and haven't been disappointed.

Regarding Kioti, while they may be relatively new in the U.S. (1993), they have been making tractors for international sales since 1968. Their parent company Daedong (South Korea) has been around since 1947.

One thing that is great about the new Tier 4 Kioti diesel is that when it goes into regen mode, you can still operate the tractor (albeit at half capacity). Most manufacturers require parking the vehicle until the regen is complete.

Not sure where you got that from but it's false. All of them will do a parked or running regen and Kubota which I'm most familiar with encourages a running (operating regen)

Your regen thing is false information.