Increase flue size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find any information on it. We currently have a 16.25 cement block chimney with a clay tile liner. There is a 6" thimble going through the wall. Is it possible to increase the wall thimble to 8"? I'm assuming this totally depends on the diameter of the clay tile liner in the chimney?

Others will come along, from what I learned solely from this website you might be able to break out the clay. What are you planning to run in it, I think most utilize a 6” liner. 16.25? Height. Do you have the inside dimension of clay liner?

I'll get it when I get home today. I was thinking about going up to a Green Mountain 80 over the 60. Since the stove depth and wall clearance are very similar. We have a lot of extra width but not much depth.