Indoor wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dang, that's a bunch of wood. Any idea how efficient the wood furnace is ? That would almost feel like a part time job trying to keep up. I did the wood stove "thing" for awhile too. At that time, the house was 1400sq ft ranch and it did a good job but any room ( closet, bathroom ) that was two rooms away was always very cold because you could never get the heat into that room. When I put my house addition on I purposely designed a chase for a chimney for a wood furnace because I knew the stove wouldn't be able to heat the extra square footage. Wood furnaces do a much better job of evenly heating the house.

If you have the funds and the time it might be worth spending a few $$$ next summer on air sealing and insulation. If you are in the U.S., I know Uncle Joe is giving out tax credits for energy efficiency home improvements.

I have quad pane windows and never ever think i should not have spent the money,
At -40C you can sit on the couch with your back to the 4'x6' window and you don't feel and cold
Same is true in the summer, we get 24 hours of daylight so that means a lot of direct sunshine.You can leave a piece of milk chocolate on the dark stone window sills i have, and at the end of the day it is still the same shape as it was in the morning.
Your time spent tightening up the house is a do it once and your done.
Processing a huge pile of wood every year, after year will get old.

I have quad pane windows
Wow...not sure I've ever heard of quad pane before...I had debated triple pane back when I was looking to replace windows...still thinking about upgrading at least the bathroom window to triple pane, just because of how much it sweats when the wife takes her "steam baths"

Wow...not sure I've ever heard of quad pane before...I had debated triple pane back when I was looking to replace windows...still thinking about upgrading at least the bathroom window to triple pane, just because of how much it sweats when the wife takes her "steam baths"
I doubt triple pane will show any noticeable improvement. Opening the window slightly will be the biggest help, along with the bathroom fan running WHILE the shower is running.

bathroom fan running WHILE the shower is running.
Done.
Never tried opening the window...but that seems counterproductive to me?

Dang, that's a bunch of wood. Any idea how efficient the wood furnace is
In it's normal operating state, It seems it will be quite efficient. Choked down, fire reduces to glowing coals. Damper open full, when called upon, fire roars up in 3-4 minutes. Once blower cycles on and off, via limit switch, house temp rises. When no longer called upon for heat, damper closes. Rinse and repeat. This works well from preheated air, washing over the coals, and out the lower exit of flue. Of course, MC is beneficial in lower measurements.
If you have the funds and the time it might be worth spending a few $$$ next summer on air sealing and insulation. If you are in the U.S., I know Uncle Joe is giving out tax credits for energy efficiency home improvements
I am in the NE but funding will be tight for a few years.

It will be by far the most effective way....unless the outside air is 100% humidity. Give it a try.
I actually like the humidity in the air, since the wood furnace is running 24/7 it circulates the moisture through the house (its needed) its just that darn bathroom window, the moisture is so heavy on it for half an hour or so that it actually pools up on the bottom...and that takes some time to evaporate, so depending on bath schedules, it can take too long to dry up and over time it can start to mold down in the crevice between the glass and the frame. That's really the main issue...so I thought maybe a triple pane would not get condensate on it as much...not sure I'm gonna be able to convince her to crack the window open when its cold out and she's taking her much coveted "steam bath"...

I have quad pane windows and never ever think i should not have spent the money,
At -40C you can sit on the couch with your back to the 4'x6' window and you don't feel and cold
Same is true in the summer, we get 24 hours of daylight so that means a lot of direct sunshine.You can leave a piece of milk chocolate on the dark stone window sills i have, and at the end of the day it is still the same shape as it was in the morning.
Your time spent tightening up the house is a do it once and your done.
I think you are refering to double pane sashes? 2 lights on top and 2 on the bottom? To help with any confusion, @brenndatomu .

I priced those replacement windows already. I have the same windows and, at $500ea with 33 units $16,500 is a lot of coin. I roughly calculate my interior storms at 7-8$ a piece. Besides cost, I talked to a historical home preservationist. He explained these windows, with the old growth wood they are made from, are stable. New replacement windows are made from wood which is grown at faster rates, and will need to be replaced in 25 yrs or so. I understand this because when I'm at the lumber yard, I see the large growth rings in the end cuts. Looking at the lumber, and selecting the one I want, much of it is either frowning or smiling at me.

Not only this, there is the history here. I have some true antique glass in some windows, (hand blown glass). Others are wavy glass from the next generation of glaziers.

Dang, that's a bunch of wood. Any idea how efficient the wood furnace is ? That would almost feel like a part time job trying to keep up
As for wood, amongst my trades, I'm an arborist. I get tons of wood. I mentioned getting a log truck load of Ash, to have the quick drying Ash on hand. I'm planning on a commercial splitter to increase my production. My goal is 40-50 cords a season. After my own stash is established, the rest will be in sales. I've come up with a plan, with investments, to making handling the wood at a minimum. Some machinery will have more purpose than processing firewood so, It's investment will have multiple ROIs. This is a whole other thread for discussion though.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I actually like the humidity in the air, since the wood furnace is running 24/7 it circulates the moisture through the house (its needed) its just that darn bathroom window, the moisture is so heavy on it for half an hour or so that it actually pools up on the bottom...and that takes some time to evaporate, so depending on bath schedules, it can take too long to dry up and over time it can start to mold down in the crevice between the glass and the frame. That's really the main issue...so I thought maybe a triple pane would not get condensate on it as much...not sure I'm gonna be able to convince her to crack the window open when its cold out and she's taking her much coveted "steam bath"...
For the heck of it, try the interior "storm" I described.
If it works, that's great. If not, your loss is minimal.

I think you are refering to double pane sashes? 2 lights on top and 2 on the bottom? To help with any confusion, @brenndatomu .
Developed in the Yukon
These are 4 panes of glass on all units including the openers.
The r value of them is the same as a 2x4 insulated wall
My log house was the first in the world with quad pane windows

Developed in the Yukon
These are 4 panes of glass on all units including the openers.
The r value of them is the same as a 2x4 insulated wall
My log house was the first in the world with quad pane windows
That's sweet! That puts you in the history books! ::-)

This gets me to thinking. I'm wondering how effective my setup will be. The timber frame section of my house has windows with pins through the sashes. They have corresponding holes in the jambs for holding them open. The remainder of my windows have the weights and pockets. These I will switch over to pins and eliminate the pockets with insulation. Effectively, I will have 4 barriers to block drafts with the storms. On sunny days, I might get a bit of greenhouse effect? Time will tell.