Induction Fan Repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I can't blame my boiler. All my fault.

I was cleaning the vigas, and decided to have a look at my smoke pipe. Just to see how it's running. I've had a couple of dirty burns, mostly from my own stupidity, so I wanted to check things out.

The easiest access I had was to remove the plate that held my inducer fan from the smoke pipe. I took it off.. and cleaned some ash out of the pipe.. it was worth checking.

Problem is... I DROPPED the dang fan.. and it smacked on the concrete floor.

When I reassembled the fan.. and went to start a burn.. when I turned the draft fan on.. boop! out goes the control panel. I found the small fuse I blew. Replaced that.. and found that there was a short in the induction fan. There is continuity in the fan with the hot and neutral lead. I pulled the casing off the electric motor itself... and can't SEE any damage.

So.. my plan is to now make a plate to cover where the fan will come off.. and bring it to a electric motor repair shop a couple towns over. Unless there is something little I'm not seeing.

Thoughts?

FYI.. vigas has plenty of draft and runs fine. The way I've been starting fires.. the fan just helps a bit with the first loading to keep the smoke down. I probably could go without the thing if I just planned to never open the door during a burn at all. Start it and walk away.

But what fun is that? :)

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.