Inefficient EF-5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jamesieboy

Oct 27, 2021
Northern Ontario, Canada
I'm having troubles with my EF-5 this year. The heat output is extremely inefficient this year, in comparison to the last 5 year's I've run the stove. Same pellets (although they rebranded), and I've messed around with all the settings. No matter what I do, it's just eating way too many pellets for the heat output.

If anyone has any experience with these stoves, I'm all ears...

Thanks in advance

No experience with that stove,but would recommend a very good cleaning.I do not know if yours has passageways that can slowly clog up.Might want to remove all the insid epanels,the exhaust blower,vacuum and pound with a mallet to see if you get exta ash. Lots use a leaf blower,works very well,use search box and search leaf blower trick.
Another thing, on any pellet stove. is a dirty room blower wheel. Just a layer/film of stuff on all the little blades can reduce the efficiency by 30%.

No experience with that stove,but would recommend a very good cleaning.I do not know if yours has passageways that can slowly clog up.Might want to remove all the insid epanels,the exhaust blower,vacuum and pound with a mallet to see if you get exta ash. Lots use a leaf blower,works very well,use search box and search leaf blower trick.
Another thing, on any pellet stove. is a dirty room blower wheel. Just a layer/film of stuff on all the little blades can reduce the efficiency by 30%.
Thank you very much for the reply! I accidentally posted the topic twice, as I thought for some reason I made a mistake when posting.

I've thoroughly cleaned and disassembled the stove, and even took apart the exhaust blower housing to clean it out. It's almost as if I'm getting too much air. No matter my combustion blower settings or damper settings, I just can't get a lazy flame.

Thanks again for your input!

Or not enough pellets
I believe that to be true as well, but the heat setting is on 3 and the feed rate is on 4 (default is 4, max is 5), and I'm at a bag to a bag and a half (40lb bag) per day of pellets. If I put the feed rate up to 5 for a heat setting of 3, I feel like the fuel consumption to heat ratio is way off, especially considering for the last 5 years, it wasn't this inefficient.

Thanks!