Info about newish ACC from Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
I have made a few comments here and there about the ACC stoves that came out from Quadrafire. Everyone seems to be curious and I got some more info so I thought I would post it.

It has two air control levers on the right of the stove. The one on the bottom is dual function. Sliding it all the way back engages the ACC timer and opens both the front and rear air. The front air is controlled by the timer and is often called the "startup" air. The read air flap is controlled directly by the lever and is the primary air. After engaging the startup air you just slide the lever forward into the range noted on the sticker (low / med / hi ) for different burn rates. The second air control handle is just a pie piece welded to the lever. It slides over a cutout hole and controls the air flow to the air wash in the front of the stove. A little air from this will also bleed down into the front "startup" air hole by design. The manifold tubes work the same as always in the Quadrafire stoves. There is a channel that goes to the back bottom of the stove and the tubes draw air from there. The stronger the draft, the more air will come through those tubes. If an OAK is hooked up the manifold tubes draw air from that.

Yeah, just a wind up timer. It looks ike the exact same part they have on the 7100. Its a step in the right direction, maybe they will have something thermostatically controlled on the next go around.

....as in retrofit? :)

I tend to turn down the fan when the flames are lower, so that the air coming out is still warm (though not as much volume). The themostat switch I have will eventually turn off the fan completely when it gets cold enough. I wonder if there if it would be worthwhile to automatically control the speed of the fan automatically such that the exit air temperature is constant at a user-selectable lever.

Wouldn't you know it! I just bought and installed a new 5700 Quad ACT. Now you tell me it is outdated? Or been improved upon? Thus far I am real happy with it. Just don't want to leave the start up air control open for more than 15 min. though.

RonB said:
Wouldn't you know it! I just bought and installed a new 5700 Quad ACT. Now you tell me it is outdated? Or been improved upon? Thus far I am real happy with it. Just don't want to leave the start up air control open for more than 15 min. though.

Ron, don't own a ferrarri, but my Chevy runs fine and costs me hundreds of thousands less to run each year. Go figure, My crome is just as shiny as theirs. Oh, by the way, what do you mean by "outdated" my 1990 chevy meets all EPA standards for emission and still gets as good mileage as a comparable new model. Granted I have no cup holders, big bummer.

UncleRich said:
Ron, don't own a ferrarri, but my Chevy runs fine and costs me hundreds of thousands less to run each year.

Hey, I want one of those! That would put me into positive cash flow overnight.

BeGreen said:
UncleRich said:
Ron, don't own a ferrarri, but my Chevy runs fine and costs me hundreds of thousands less to run each year.

Hey, I want one of those! That would put me into positive cash flow overnight.

Hey BG, got a NW story for you. When I lived in Kitsap County and my sister was there, also, one of her very best friends got a bonus Christmas present. Started with a remake on their garage and a new whole house alarm, they went to Christmas morning at Mom's and went home. But couldn't open the garage with the remote. When they went inside there was a set of keys, a title, and an insurance policy for two years. Opened the garage and here was her special car, a lambourghani. She had told her brother that's what she always wanted. Well, he had designed a dinge that got really hot and was bought up by a big boat company and made way too much money. He filled the family dreams. Well it was too expensive. Think about what it costs you to drive each day and multiply it by 1000% in Lakewood it was too much. She worked at Fircrest and she couldn't park it in the employee parking lot. Her fortune became a misfortune and in less than a year the car was gone, the alarm reduced and the memory intact.

Truth is having the dream is sometimes better than living the dream. We heat by wood products, often because we have to, but also because we chose to. We could spend a few dollars more for a different system, but we can be stubborn. I still like the waft of smoke outside my door.

Just a gentle poke Rich. I admire frugalness. That the reason I don't have a boat, ATV, Mercedes, etc. The problem with expensive toys is that they all need to be take care of, sometimes at a pretty high price.

Status
Not open for further replies.