Info about old cast iron stove, possibly antique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DerBears

Sep 7, 2020
Seattle
Hi! I found this old stove buried in my backyard and I can't find out much about it. The closest thing I could find was an Ebay listing for a "vintage regency" stove. It says "Taiwan" and "Fjord 16" as well as has these gorgeous pictures of a girl listening to a boy playing violin on both sides. If anyone could enlighten me about this item, I'd be so happy! Its so lovely I'd like to restore it especially since it seems like the legs and the handle and the top covers are still with it, as well as some strange pink brinks.

I have NO idea how long it has been laying there but i suspect a very long time XD
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200907_134221.jpg
    20200907_134221.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200907_134237.jpg
    20200907_134237.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200907_134230.jpg
    20200907_134230.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 247
I think that is a Scandia stove which is a brand that made knock-offs of cast iron stoves in the 70's and 80's.

Reactions: DerBears
Antique stoves are 100 years old. No tags will be found on them.
Fjord Model 16 is a reproduction of Jotul 602.

If you mean pink bricks, they are fire brick that line some stoves. They will measure 4 1/2 X 9 and be 1 1/4 inches thick if that is what they are. I think that stove had a cast iron bottom with raised lines, not flat for brick. Many added brick to reflect heat back into firebox raising firebox temp for a cleaner fire. They also protect iron from excessive heat. Better quality stoves will use them.

Your state made it illegal to sell a home with a non EPA certified stove installed. (Emission regulations) Looking back at the sales history will show if property was sold after the law went into effect for your state. That would probably date when it was removed. Could not have been buried long, it would be a piece of rust.

Not a big deal to buff the rust off with a wire wheel in a drill and paint. It is not legal to sell or install in your state, but is fine decommissioned (made unusable) for collecting.

Reactions: DerBears
haha yeah i dont usually deal in old things so i am sure I'm using vintage/antique/etc incorrectly <3 Please forgive me. It was buried for at least 6 years but under extremely dense ivy that was also under tree cover, so it was very very protected from the elements. The previous owner doesnt know anything about it and had the house for 15 years, so possibly buried for much longer than even i know. :)

Also yes, they were thin little pink bricks, that is really cool information about them! Thank you all so much! I figured it was unsafe to use but it is such a neat piece that I am very excited to fix it as a display! We do a lot of gardening so it would probably be a really neat little table or stand or something.

Honestly the fact that a forum exists for these things was a happy surprise. Thanks again everyone for the fast responses!

Reactions: SpaceBus
haha yeah i dont usually deal in old things so i am sure I'm using vintage/antique/etc incorrectly <3 Please forgive me. It was buried for at least 6 years but under extremely dense ivy that was also under tree cover, so it was very very protected from the elements. The previous owner doesnt know anything about it and had the house for 15 years, so possibly buried for much longer than even i know. :)

Also yes, they were thin little pink bricks, that is really cool information about them! Thank you all so much! I figured it was unsafe to use but it is such a neat piece that I am very excited to fix it as a display! We do a lot of gardening so it would probably be a really neat little table or stand or something.

Honestly the fact that a forum exists for these things was a happy surprise. Thanks again everyone for the fast responses!
It will make a fabulous planter.

Rather crazy for someone to own a property for 15 years and not know every square inch of the land / house / outbuildings etc.

If it's fully intact that sort of thing would make good yard patio fireplace if that's allowed by law.

Steve